Constant g roller coaster loops

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a roller coaster loop where the rider experiences a constant 1 g force throughout the entire loop. The author disagrees with the article's claim that this is not possible and suggests that by tightening the loop radius at the top and taking into account changes in velocity, a constant 1 g force could be achieved. However, this would result in the loop ending at a different point than where it began.
curiousnoncat
I was reading this interesting article on different varieties of roller coaster loops, and I know nothing about calculus or ODEs, but I was wondering what the constant-g loop in section 3.2 would actually look like for some typical initial velocity. Is it conceivably possible for a rider to experience 1 g throughout an entire loop in a 1 g environment? I would have to disagree with the author, then, because it would truly be an interesting sensation.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the loop is not complete (starts with an upwards section and ends with a downwards section), having a constant 1 g is possible. You cannot have a full circle, of course, as this would add centrifugal/centripetal acceleration with gravity, and give more than 1 g.

You would have to tighten the loop radius at the top so that there are 2 Gs, ignoring gravity. And you would have to take into account any velocity decrease going up and a corresponding increase going down. I think that the "loop" would not end where it began, but would be forward of the starting point. Without doing calculations, it seems possible to me.

Related to Constant g roller coaster loops

1. What is a constant g roller coaster loop?

A constant g roller coaster loop is a type of roller coaster loop that maintains a consistent gravitational force, or g-force, throughout the entire loop. This creates a smooth and consistent experience for riders.

2. How is the g-force maintained in a constant g roller coaster loop?

The g-force in a constant g roller coaster loop is maintained by designing the loop with a specific shape and size. The curvature of the loop and the speed of the train are carefully calculated to ensure a constant g-force is experienced by riders.

3. What is the purpose of using a constant g roller coaster loop?

The purpose of using a constant g roller coaster loop is to provide a thrilling and exciting experience for riders. The consistent g-force allows for a smooth and intense ride, without the discomfort of sudden changes in g-forces.

4. Are constant g roller coaster loops safe?

Yes, constant g roller coaster loops are designed to be safe for riders. They undergo rigorous testing and inspections to ensure they meet safety standards. Additionally, the constant g-force minimizes the risk of injury or discomfort for riders.

5. How do constant g roller coaster loops differ from other types of loops?

Constant g roller coaster loops differ from other types of loops, such as clothoid or clothoid-based loops, in that they maintain a consistent g-force throughout the entire loop. Other types of loops may have varying g-forces, which can result in a less smooth and more intense experience for riders.