Constant acceleration problem with a car

In summary: The equation for (c) is the equation for motion with constant acceleration: V2=V02+2a(x-x0)where (x-x0) is the displacement in which I labeled as "d" in the problem.In summary, the car moved from a rest distance of 31.9 meters to a distance of 5.02 meters in 5.02 seconds at a speed of 14.4 meters per second.
Aman Abraha
1. Question to problem
A car moving with constant acceleration covered the distance between two points 57.9 m apart in 5.02 s. Its speed as it passes the second point was 14.4 m/s. (a) What was the speed at the first point? (b) What was the acceleration? (c) At what prior distance from the first point was the car at rest?

I'm using wileyplus.com to submit answers, and the only one that I'm stuck on is problem (c). A and B are correct.

Homework Equations

(a)V average= V final + V initial/ 2

(b)V final= V initial + at

(c)V final^2 = V initial^2 +2ad

3. Attempt at solution

(a) 11.5 m/s= 14.4 m/s + V initial / 2
V initial= 8.60 m/s

(b) 14.4 m/s = 8.60 m/s + a(5.02 s)
a= 1.16 m/s^2

(c) (8.60 m/s)^2 = (0 m/s)^2 + 2d(1.16 m/s^2)
d=31.9 m

For (c) it says on wiley plus that it is incorrect.
Any suggestion on what I did wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with the equation you used for (c).
In part (a), you found the velocity at the first point. In part (b) you found the constant acceleration.
How long did it take the car to reach the velocity from (a)?
How much distance would a car cover from rest in that amount of time at the acceleration you found in (b)?

Your method is correct and if you solved the problem the way RUber suggested, you would get the same answer. I suggest that you do it more carefully, using symbols instead of numbers and plug in numbers at the very end. If you can't do that, carry your intermediate numerical calculations to more significant figures. It looks like a round off error that fell outside the tolerance of wileyplus's algorithm.

Likes CWatters and jbriggs444
RUber said:
To add to Karuman's response...

You can find that equation in various SUVAT summaries. The mnemonic I use to remember it is to mentally translate to ΔKE = work and divide out the mass.

##E = Fd##
##\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = ma d##
##\frac{1}{2}v^2 = ad##

Aman Abraha said:
(c)V final^2 = V initial^2 +2ad

d=31.9 m

Looks right to me. Perhaps try entering the answer using two or three decimal places?

Aman Abraha said:

3. Attempt at solution

(a) 11.5 m/s= 14.4 m/s + V initial / 2
V initial= 8.60 m/s

(b) 14.4 m/s = 8.60 m/s + a(5.02 s)
a= 1.16 m/s^2

d=31.9 m

For (c) it says on Wiley plus that it is incorrect.
Any suggestion on what I did wrong?
I did calculations without rounding at intermediate values.

I get a slightly larger answer for (a) and a slightly smaller answer for (b) than what you did..

Using the square of answer (a) in the numerator and answer (b) in the denominator gives a more than slightly larger answer for (c) compared to your answer.

Last edited:
SammyS said:
I did calculations without rounding at intermediate values.

I get a slightly larger answer for (a) and a slightly smaller answer for (b) than what you did..

Using the square of answer (a) in the numerator and answer (b) in the denominator gives a more than slightly larger answer for (c) compared to your answer.
I tried the calculation throughout without rounding for problem (c) starting with solving again for (a) and (b). I did get a slightly larger answer for (a) and a smaller answer for (b), but the were already correct beforehand when I did round them as there was a +/- 2% tolerance for answers. When I got to (c), I got 32.385... rounded it to 32.4 which was indeed correct! Just a simple rounding issue.

RUber said:
In part (a), you found the velocity at the first point. In part (b) you found the constant acceleration.
How much distance would a car cover from rest in that amount of time at the acceleration you found in (b)?
RUber said:
The equation for (c) is the equation for motion with constant acceleration: V2=V02+2a(x-x0)
where (x-x0) is the displacement in which I labeled as "d"

Related to Constant acceleration problem with a car

What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is when an object's velocity changes at a constant rate over time. This means that the object's speed is increasing or decreasing by the same amount at regular intervals.

How can I calculate the acceleration of a car?

To calculate the acceleration of a car, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time. You will need to measure the car's velocity at two different points in time to use this formula.

What factors can affect the constant acceleration of a car?

The constant acceleration of a car can be affected by factors such as the car's weight, the engine power, the road conditions, and air resistance. These factors can impact the car's ability to maintain a constant acceleration.

What is the difference between constant acceleration and average acceleration?

Constant acceleration refers to a steady change in velocity over time, while average acceleration refers to the overall change in velocity over a given period of time. Constant acceleration is calculated using instantaneous velocity, while average acceleration is calculated using the total change in velocity over a specific time frame.

How does constant acceleration impact a car's motion?

Constant acceleration can impact a car's motion by increasing or decreasing its speed at a steady rate. This can affect the car's ability to maintain a constant velocity, change direction, and stop in a timely manner. It is important for drivers to be aware of the constant acceleration of their car to ensure safe driving.