Considering writing essay about laser fusion?

In summary, a physics undergrad is considering writing a 3000 word essay on laser fusion, but is concerned about finding proper sources for information. They ask if it would be a wise choice for their essay and if there are any recommended books or papers on the topic. Additionally, the most recent Scientific American magazine has an article about fusion power.
jeebs
Hi,
I am a physics undergrad and this term I have to write a 3000 word essay on one of about 10 possible topics. One topic which caught my eye was laser fusion. Whichever topic I choose, I will need to find information from a variety of proper sources (not just trawling google). This is what I am slightly concerned about - am I going to have difficulty finding sources of info for this topic?
I ask this because, correct me if I'm wrong, it is a relatively new science, and since no one has managed to make it commercially viable yet, it perhaps isn't as well understood as other areas?
So, do you think it would be a wise choice for my essay?
if so, do you have any reccomendations of relevant books or papers I might have a look at?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The most recent Scientific American has an article about fusion power.

Related to Considering writing essay about laser fusion?

1. What is laser fusion?

Laser fusion is a process that involves using high-powered lasers to heat and compress hydrogen isotopes, typically deuterium and tritium, in order to initiate a fusion reaction. This reaction releases a tremendous amount of energy, similar to the process that powers the sun.

2. How does laser fusion differ from other forms of fusion?

Laser fusion differs from other forms of fusion, such as magnetic confinement fusion, in that it uses powerful lasers to compress and heat the fuel instead of magnetic fields. This allows for higher pressures and temperatures to be achieved, resulting in a more efficient fusion reaction.

3. What are the potential applications of laser fusion?

Laser fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy. It could also be used for the production of medical isotopes, propulsion systems for spacecraft, and the development of new materials with unique properties.

4. What are the current challenges in developing laser fusion technology?

One of the biggest challenges in laser fusion is achieving the necessary temperatures and pressures for a sustained fusion reaction. This requires precise control and synchronization of multiple high-powered lasers. Additionally, the development of materials that can withstand the extreme conditions of fusion reactions is also a major challenge.

5. How close are we to achieving practical laser fusion technology?

While significant progress has been made in recent years, there are still many challenges to overcome before laser fusion can be considered a viable energy source. Some estimates suggest that it may take another 10-20 years of research and development before practical laser fusion technology can be achieved.