Particle accelerator based nuclear fusion?

In summary, the idea is to target multiple streams of deuterium from all possible directions towards one point with a powerful particle accelerators in order to fuse them together to create an excess amount of energy. This is not a new concept and has been talked about on Physics Forums for a while. However, there are many challenges that need to be addressed before this can be economically done.
SummerFuse
I do think that the idea I had recently and one that I have been pondering about since is something mundane. Specifically because its so simple. Yet its an abstract one that I would like to know more about it from someone who can take the time to think about it and write a paragraph or two.

In short form, the idea I recently had and doesn't seem to be explored on here before either is whether it is possible to archive nuclear fusion that produces excess energy than what goes into the process by targeting multiple streams of deuterium from all possible directions towards one point with a powerful particle accelerators?

It seems perfectly possible to me. In it that it would look more like a laser fusion device but instead of lasers one uses powerful particle accelerators that accelerate deuterium and not just photons as in the case of lasers.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not new. Please read this rather old thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-not-particle-accelerators-for-fusion.90734/

Please note that just because something is possible, it doesn't mean that it can be economically done! You need to consider if you are using MORE power than you generate (particle accelerators are HIGHLY INEFFICIENT!), and if something can be economically built. We know how to initiate fusion for many, many years already. But to generate it in a controlled manner, in an efficient way, and in such a way that the energy used to initiate and control the fusion process is less than what it generates, that is the difficult part.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
particle accelerators are HIGHLY INEFFICIENT!
Particle accelerators up to ~1 MeV are extremely efficient, and fusion does not require higher energies.
The collision process is inefficient (small probability of fusion per particle) which makes the whole concept inefficient, but that is a different point.

There is also the issue of getting enough beam current out of your ion source. At the heavy ion accelerator I used to work at, the beam currents were measured in nanoamps. To produce macroscopic amounts of power from fusion, you'd need a current many orders of magnitude bigger than that. You would also need a target that could handle that amount of current without being destroyed. And I don't know at what point you start running into space charge issues.

mfb said:
The collision process is inefficient (small probability of fusion per particle) which makes the whole concept inefficient, but that is a different point.

I suppose the OP's idea could in principle be modified to use counterrotating colliding beams.

bcrowell said:
I suppose the OP's idea could in principle be modified to use counterrotating colliding beams.
That makes it even worse. The problem is scattering versus fusion - with colliding beams you lose particles even faster than with a (larger) fixed target.

mfb said:
That makes it even worse. The problem is scattering versus fusion - with colliding beams you lose particles even faster than with a (larger) fixed target.

Good point. I was thinking of electronic energy loss, but avoiding that energy loss doesn't help if the particles are scattered out of the beam.

bcrowell said:
At the heavy ion accelerator I used to work at,

Off Topic: Do you have any experience in 'beaming' deuterons in ion sources and LEBT before they are given the big push in the accelerator? Was a lot of neutron radiation and gamma rays produced there?

Sven Andersson

Related to Particle accelerator based nuclear fusion?

1. What is a particle accelerator based nuclear fusion?

Particle accelerator based nuclear fusion is a type of nuclear fusion that uses high-energy particle accelerators to create the conditions necessary for fusion reactions to occur.

2. How does a particle accelerator work in nuclear fusion?

A particle accelerator works by accelerating particles, typically protons or ions, to extremely high speeds using electromagnetic fields. These accelerated particles are then directed towards a target material, creating intense heat and pressure that can trigger fusion reactions.

3. What are the advantages of using a particle accelerator for nuclear fusion?

One advantage of using a particle accelerator for nuclear fusion is that it allows for precise control over the fusion reactions, making it easier to study and improve the process. Additionally, particle accelerators can create higher temperatures and pressures than other fusion methods, potentially leading to more efficient fusion reactions.

4. What are the challenges of particle accelerator based nuclear fusion?

One of the main challenges of particle accelerator based nuclear fusion is the high energy and cost required to build and operate these facilities. Additionally, there are technical challenges in controlling and sustaining the fusion reactions, as well as managing the intense heat and radiation produced during the process.

5. Are there any successful examples of particle accelerator based nuclear fusion?

There have been several successful experiments using particle accelerator based nuclear fusion, such as the National Ignition Facility in the US and the Joint European Torus in the UK. However, these experiments have not yet achieved self-sustaining fusion reactions, which is the ultimate goal of nuclear fusion research.