Considering Graduate School Again - A Reflection

• Admissions
  • Thread starter Zurvan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of going back to graduate school after a turbulent experience during the previous attempt. The main concern is obtaining updated letters of reference and the suggestion is to send an accompanying letter explaining the situation and asking for a new letter from a former professor. It is also recommended to develop a research proposal to showcase focus and ability to think ahead. It is important to maintain focus in a specific field of interest and look for well-defined problems to make a contribution.
Zurvan
Hi all, I'm writing this post because my current situation appears to be allowing me the possibility to go back to graduate school. Where, I'm not sure but we'll have to see. A brief background is that when I was admitted to graduate school, I was set to work with a professor regarding fluid dynamics and possibly turbulent flows. That's been my passion for many years and was excited to have found someone to do research in the field and not be an engineering PhD. Long story short, said professor left during the summer of my admittance and so I carried the cross of doing my studies without a preferred direction in various fields. I was able to graduate with a Masters since the available research opportunities did not suit me. No disrespect for the fields I engaged with but they just weren't my cups of tea. Since then I have taken up teaching and have regained my composure after such a turbulent time, no pun intended.

Now for the crux of this post. As the years continue to pass I am wondering if I should attempt graduate school again, in the hopes of finally accomplishing one of my life's dreams? My main issue is letters of reference since the main ones I had used were from 4 years ago and don't know how to go about doing these applications since my heydays (especially at REUs) have passed. Should I aspire to develop something pre-finished like a theoretical structure or experiment? I'm hoping to reapply sometime this year but also don't know where along with redoing GRE tests. My field of interests is really a platypus of Fluid dynamics, differential geometry, and dynamical systems with renewed interest in relativity and quantum/qft. Thanks ahead of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zurvan said:
As the years continue to pass I am wondering if I should attempt graduate school again, in the hopes of finally accomplishing one of my life's dreams?
YES!

Below I will only comment on those issues about which I figure I can say something sensible.
Zurvan said:
My main issue is letters of reference since the main ones I had used were from 4 years ago
It could help if you would send an accompanying letter where you explain your history. Four years is not such a long time, your talents and capabilities did not just disappear. Perhaps you could also ask your former professor to write a new letter of reference, even if just for it to be recent.
Zurvan said:
Should I aspire to develop something pre-finished like a theoretical structure or experiment?
You could aim to write a succinct research proposal, also if it is not strictly required for your application. This shows focus (see below), overview and the ability to think ahead. It need not contain final results. (Do include any relevant work that you have done, though.) If possible, have it "butchered" (constructively) by some of your former and/or prospective professors and use their criticism for improvements.
Zurvan said:
My field of interests is really a platypus of Fluid dynamics, differential geometry, and dynamical systems with renewed interest in relativity and quantum/qft. Thanks ahead of time.
While I could certainly imagine that there are fields (such as relativistic fluid dynamics) where multiple of these areas meet, I would make sure not to lose focus. Look for (a class of) problem(s) that is reasonably well-defined (or that you could define well, yourself) and where you feel you could make a contribution at some point.

Last edited:
Krylov said:
YES!

Below I will only comment on those issues about which I figure I can say something sensible.

It could help if you would send an accompanying letter where you explain your history. Four years is not such a long time, your talents and capabilities did not just disappear. Perhaps you could also ask your former professor to write a new letter of reference, even if just for it to be recent.

You could aim to write a succinct research proposal, also if it is not strictly required for your application. This shows focus (see below), overview and the ability to think ahead. It need not contain final results. (Do include any relevant work that you have done, though.) If possible, have it "butchered" (constructively) by some of your former and/or prospective professors and use their criticism for improvements.

While I could certainly imagine that there are fields (such as relativistic fluid dynamics) where multiple of these areas meet, I would make sure not to lose focus. Look for (a class of) problem(s) that is reasonably well-defined (or that you could define well, yourself) and where you feel you could make a contribution at some point.

Thank you so much for your response! I feel more optimistic at what needs to be done now.

Likes S.G. Janssens

Related to Considering Graduate School Again - A Reflection

What are the benefits of going back to graduate school?

Some potential benefits of going back to graduate school include expanding your knowledge and skills in your field, increasing your job opportunities and earning potential, and networking with other professionals in your field.

What factors should I consider before deciding to pursue graduate school?

Some important factors to consider before deciding to pursue graduate school include the cost of tuition and living expenses, the time commitment and potential impact on your personal and professional life, and the job market and demand for graduates in your field.

What are the differences between a master's degree and a Ph.D.?

A master's degree usually takes 1-2 years to complete and focuses on coursework and practical application of knowledge. A Ph.D. can take 4-7 years to complete and involves original research and a dissertation. Ph.D. holders often pursue careers in research or academia, while master's degree holders may have a wider range of career options.

How can I prepare for the application process for graduate school?

Some ways to prepare for the graduate school application process include researching programs and their requirements, studying for standardized tests like the GRE or GMAT, obtaining letters of recommendation, and preparing a strong personal statement or statement of purpose.

Are there alternative options to graduate school?

Yes, there are alternative options to graduate school, such as online courses, professional development programs, and certificate programs. These options may be more flexible and cost-effective, but may not provide the same depth of knowledge and credentials as a graduate degree.