Considering a PhD in EE: Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Focus?

In summary, the speaker has recently completed a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering and is now pursuing a Master's degree in the same field. They are also considering a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and have been offered research opportunities in both departments. They are wondering if having a background in both fields would be beneficial in the industry or if it would make them a "jack of all trades, master of none." The conversation also touches on the convergence of mechanics and electronics in fields such as robotics and the availability of mechatronics courses at their university. The overall consensus is that the speaker is in a good position for future opportunities.
tangodirt
Just finished with my B.S.M.E. and now my M.S.M.E. and have been considering a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering. I've been offered research opportunities in both the mechanical and electrical engineering departments, so really it's up to me to decide.

Can anyone put an industry spin on what I am considering? Would those in industry prefer to see a student with a diversified background (both mechanical and electrical) or does that make me a jack of all trades, master of none?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think things are converging where mechanics and electronics are coming together in robotic design for example. Our university even teaches course on mechatronics. So I think you're in a good position for future opportunities.

Related to Considering a PhD in EE: Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Focus?

1. What is the difference between a PhD in Mechanical Engineering and a PhD in Electrical Engineering?

A PhD in Mechanical Engineering focuses on the design, development, and analysis of mechanical systems, while a PhD in Electrical Engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. The two fields have some overlap and interdisciplinary areas, but the core focus and coursework will vary.

2. What are the career options for someone with a PhD in EE: Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Focus?

With a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, one can pursue careers in research and development, academia, consulting, and management in industries such as automotive, aerospace, robotics, and manufacturing. A PhD in Electrical Engineering can lead to careers in fields such as telecommunications, power systems, renewable energy, and semiconductor technology.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in EE: Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Focus?

The length of time to complete a PhD program can vary, but it usually takes 4-6 years. This includes coursework, research, and the completion of a dissertation. The exact timeline will depend on the individual's research progress and the specific requirements of the program.

4. What are the prerequisites for a PhD in EE: Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Focus?

Most PhD programs in EE require applicants to have a master's degree in a related field, such as mechanical or electrical engineering. Some programs may also accept applicants with a bachelor's degree if they have relevant research experience or a strong academic background. Additionally, applicants should have a high GPA, GRE scores, and letters of recommendation.

5. What research opportunities are available for PhD students in EE: Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Focus?

PhD students in EE have the opportunity to conduct cutting-edge research in their respective fields. They may work on projects in collaboration with industry partners, government agencies, or other academic institutions. Many programs also offer opportunities for students to present their research at conferences and publish their work in academic journals.