Considering a Change in Emphasis for Physics Major/Math Minor

In summary, the speaker is a third year physics major with a minor in math who is considering changing their emphasis. Their current emphasis is in Mathematical Physics, but after participating in a research program in Condensed Soft Matter Physics, they are now considering switching to the AMO (Atomic, Molecular, and Optical) Physics track. They value interdisciplinary work and are concerned that their current emphasis and minor may be too narrow. They are wondering if graduate schools prioritize emphasis or a wide range of upper level courses. They ask for feedback and suggest the listener to read a journal to see if they really enjoy AMO.
Kyle Kabasares
Hi everyone,

I am a rising third year physics major/math minor at my university planning to go onto graduate school, and I've been thinking about my changing my emphasis. Our school requires all Physics majors to have an emphasis in either: Mathematical Physics, AMO (Atomic, Molecular, and Optical) Physics, or Biophysics. Currently, my emphasis is in Mathematical Physics, but I just did an REU this summer in a Condensed Soft Matter Physics lab, and I absolutely loved it.

I value interdisciplinary work, and the more I think about it, the more I feel as if I'm narrowing myself too much with all the math in terms of making it my emphasis and my minor. I really do enjoy learning as much as I can about other subjects such as Chemistry and Biology, but it would be too late for me to switch my emphasis to the Biophysics track, (it would require me to take several upper division Bio classes that would keep me here longer than I would like) which is why I've been taking a long look at AMO.

Do graduate schools really care about emphasis? Or is it more important to them to see that although it seems you may have a narrow focus (Phys w/Math emphasis + Math minor) that you also took a wide range of upper div courses in your final years? (As in finishing with a Phys w/Math emphasis + Math minor but also taken a bunch of AMO + Biophysics classes)

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cuddle up with an issue of Phys Rev A and see if you really like AMO.

Related to Considering a Change in Emphasis for Physics Major/Math Minor

1) What is the difference between a physics major and a math minor?

A physics major focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It involves a combination of theoretical and experimental work. A math minor, on the other hand, is a secondary area of study that complements a major discipline and involves taking a smaller number of math courses.

2) Why would someone consider changing their emphasis from a physics major to a math minor?

There could be several reasons for this. Some students may find that their interests lie more in mathematics than in physics. Others may struggle with the demanding workload of a physics major and decide to switch to a math minor to alleviate some of the stress.

3) Will switching to a math minor affect my career opportunities in the field of physics?

While having a math minor may not be as advantageous as a physics major in terms of career opportunities in the field of physics, it can still be beneficial. Many careers in physics require a strong background in mathematics, and having a math minor can demonstrate proficiency in this area.

4) Can I switch my emphasis from a physics major to a math minor at any point in my academic career?

This will depend on the specific requirements and policies of your university. It is best to consult with your academic advisor to determine if it is possible to make this change and what steps you need to take.

5) Are there any specific courses that are required for a math minor in conjunction with a physics major?

Again, this will vary depending on your university. However, some common courses that are required for a math minor in conjunction with a physics major may include calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is important to check with your academic advisor to ensure that you are meeting all the necessary requirements.