Conservative Field Clarification

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a conservative field, which means that the work done by an outside agent between any two points is independent of the path. It is also related to the study of electrostatics and is seen in central force fields. However, the conversation also explores the idea of a time-varying conservative field and whether it is possible for it to still be considered conservative. The consensus is that a time-varying field may not meet all of the criteria for a conservative field, but it can still be considered conservative if it carries energy.
Wannabeagenius
Hi All,

As I understand it, a conservative field means that the energy expended by an outside agent in going between any two points is independent of the path so that the closed line integral of Edotdl is zero.

This is presented in the study of electrostatics.

It seems to me that you can have a conservative field under time varying conditions but I'm not sure!

I'm thinking about central force fields which are conservative. As an example, let's take the inverse r squared relationship and assume that the square inverse relation stays the same but the constant in the coulomb law equation increases with time.

Am I correct in saying that, this too is a conservative field?

Thank you,
Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
No it would be nonconservative. As you mention, the integral of the work done on any closed path is 0 for a conservative field. Let's say that the constant is increasing over time, then you could do some work to separate two opposite charges, wait a while, and get more work out by bringing them back to the starting position.

This is also related to Noethers theorem.

DaleSpam said:
No it would be nonconservative. As you mention, the integral of the work done on any closed path is 0 for a conservative field. Let's say that the constant is increasing over time, then you could do some work to separate two opposite charges, wait a while, and get more work out by bringing them back to the starting position.

This is also related to Noethers theorem.

I understand your argument. However, with the field that I described the closed line integral of Edotdl is zero.

Is there a contradiction here?

Bob

Sorry, I don't know what Edotdl is. But as I described above in such a system the work on a closed path is non-zero so the field is non-conservative.

DaleSpam said:
Sorry, I don't know what Edotdl is. But as I described above in such a system the work on a closed path is non-zero so the field is non-conservative.

The closed line integral of the electrical field around any closed path. This integration would be taken at a frozen moment in time and would be zero.

A conservative field is defined as the work done being independent of path, as your argument reflects. It is also defined as the closed line integration that I have described above being zero.

That is the problem.

Thank you,
Bob

Wannabeagenius said:
A conservative field is defined as the work done being independent of path, as your argument reflects. It is also defined as the closed line integration that I have described above being zero.

That is the problem.

Think this way.You know a "A conservative field is defined as the work done being independent of path".
So whatever path you take from point a to b in the field the work done is the same.
Again, whatever path you take back from b to a, the work is the same in magnitude but negative, so the total work around the loop is zero.
Thus you get the second statement from the first

Wannabeagenius said:
The two definitions are not equivalent if the field is time varying. However, if the field itself can carry energy then the force can still be conservative even if the field fails to meet one of these criteria.

Related to Conservative Field Clarification

1. What is a conservative field?

A conservative field is a type of vector field in which the work done by the field on an object moving along a closed path is zero. This means that the path taken by the object does not affect the total energy of the object.

2. How is a conservative field different from a non-conservative field?

A non-conservative field is a vector field in which the work done by the field on an object moving along a closed path is not zero. This means that the path taken by the object does affect the total energy of the object.

3. What is the significance of a conservative field?

A conservative field has several important properties that make it useful in scientific and mathematical applications. For example, it allows for the simplification of certain calculations and can be used to model and analyze physical systems.

4. How can I determine if a vector field is conservative?

There are a few ways to determine if a vector field is conservative. One method is to calculate the curl of the field and see if it is equal to zero. Another method is to check if the field satisfies the property of path independence.

5. What are some real-world examples of conservative fields?

Some common examples of conservative fields include gravitational and electric fields. In both cases, the work done by the field on an object moving along a closed path is zero, meaning that the path does not affect the total energy of the object. Other examples include magnetic fields and certain types of fluid flow fields.