Conservation of Momentum: Solving a Cannon Firing Problem

In summary, a 100kg cannon loaded with a 10kg cannonball is initially at rest. When fired, the cannonball's velocity is 150m/s to the right and the cannon moves to the left. Using the equation for conservation of momentum (momentum = mass • velocity), the initial momentum is zero and the total momentum after firing should also be zero. Therefore, the velocity of the cannon after firing can be determined by solving the equation for the sum of the momenta of the cannon and cannonball.
AnomalyCoder

Homework Statement

You load a 100kg cannon with a 10kg cannonball. Initially the cannon is at rest. You fire the cannonball at a velocity of 150m/s.

Homework Equations

Momentum = mass • velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble coming up with the scenario for the problem. The four parts of the equation essentially.
The initial position would be the cannon at rest, so it's not moving.
Velocity = 0. Mass = 110kg.

I would assume the next position would be the cannon firing..
That would mean the velocity is 150m/s going to the right.
At the same time the cannon would move to the left... I'm not quite sure how to split the problem up into 4 scenarios.. I could use a few pointers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean here by "scenarios" when it comes to writing an equation. Presumably you're wanting to write an equation for conservation of momentum? But what is it you're trying to determine? You haven't stated what that might be.

Yeah I was trying to write and equation for the conservation of momentum. I am trying to find the velocity of the cannon after it is fired. Forgot to include that, I feel so silly..

Well, before the cannon is fired, both the cannon and the cannon ball are at rest (zero velocity). So what's the initial momentum?

Zero, since momentum = mass*acceleration.

AnomalyCoder said:
Zero, since momentum = mass*acceleration.

Make that velocity, not acceleration!

Okay, so that's your momentum. It's a conserved quantity, so the total momentum after firing should be zero also. Can you write an equation summing the momenta of the cannon and cannon ball after firing?

Related to Conservation of Momentum: Solving a Cannon Firing Problem

1. What is momentum in the context of a cannon problem?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. In the context of a cannon problem, it refers to the force that the cannonball has as it is launched from the cannon.

2. How is momentum calculated in a cannon problem?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity. In the case of a cannon problem, the mass would be the mass of the cannonball and the velocity would be the speed at which the cannonball is launched.

3. Why is momentum important in a cannon problem?

Momentum is important in a cannon problem because it determines the distance and speed at which the cannonball will travel. The higher the momentum, the farther and faster the cannonball will go.

4. How does the angle of the cannon affect the cannonball's momentum?

The angle of the cannon affects the cannonball's momentum by changing its direction. The higher the angle, the more vertical the cannonball's path will be, reducing its horizontal momentum. On the other hand, a lower angle will result in a more horizontal path and higher horizontal momentum.

5. Can momentum be conserved in a cannon problem?

Momentum can be conserved in a cannon problem as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum of the cannon and cannonball before and after the launch should remain the same.