Conservation of Energy -- Toy car hits and compresses a spring

In summary, the question asks about the movement of a toy car with a mass of 2 kg and an initial velocity of 2 m/s on a rough horizontal surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.14. The car encounters a fixed spring with a spring constant of 250 N/m. The question asks which of the following statements is true: A) The toy does not approach the spring B) The toy just touches the spring C) The toy compresses the spring D) The toy moves back with a constant speed on the surface. The correct answer is A, as the calculations show that the car does not reach the spring after moving 3 meters. However, there may be other factors at play, such as the shape
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

A toy car has a mass of 2 kg moves with initial speed of 2 m/s on a rough horizontal plane of μκ=0.14.A spring with constant of 250 N/m is fixed. Which of the following statements is true ?
A) The toy does not approach the spring
B) The toy just touch the spring
DATA.png
[/url][/IMG]
C) The toy compress the spring
D) The toy back with constant speed on the surface

Homework Equations

ΣF = ma
Fκ = μκ FN

The Attempt at a Solution

ΣF = ma
-Fκ = ma
Fκ = μκ FN
a = - μκg = -0.14 * 10 = - 1.4 m/s^2
vƒ^2 = vi^2 + 2 a d
= 4 - 2*1.4*3 = - 4.4 (negative) --> A) The toy does not approach the spring.
Can somebody check my answer please ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have missed out some information from the question. The car is moving towards the spring, but you don't say how far away it is.

PeroK said:
I think you have missed out some information from the question. The car is moving towards the spring, but you don't say how far away it is.
d = 3 m

Last edited:
Fatima Hasan said:
a = - μκg = -0.14 * 10 = - 1.4 m/s^2
vƒ^2 = vi^2 + 2 a d
= 4 - 2*1.4*3 = - 4.4 (negative) --> A) The toy does not approach the spring.
Can somebody check my answer please ?

That's a strange way to do things. Surely you ought to solve for ##d## and see whether it is less than ##3m##?

PeroK said:
That's a strange way to do things. Surely you ought to solve for ##d## and see whether it is less than ##3m##?
which law to use??

Fatima Hasan said:
which law to use??

You've got the correct equations. What you did was calculate the velocity squared when the car had moved ##3m##. You got a negative answer and concluded that the car doesn't move ##3m##. This is not wrong, but it seems illogical to me. I would have calculated how far the car moved before it stopped. That just seems a lot more logical.

Fatima Hasan said:
A toy car has a mass of 2 kg moves with initial speed of 2 m/s on a rough horizontal plane of μκ=0.14
Strange question... Are the wheels of the toy car stuck? Is there anything else you have left out?

haruspex said:
Strange question... Are the wheels of the toy car stuck? Is there anything else you have left out?
No

Fatima Hasan said:
No
Then why does the friction of the surface matter?

Likes lekh2003 and PeroK
haruspex said:
I haven't missed out anything else . There is a friction between the wheels and the surface . I got the answer by finding the distance , and it was less than 3 m , so the correct answer is A .

haruspex said:
The wheels have to be perfect circles in order for friction not to do any work..

Fatima Hasan said:
I haven't missed out anything else . There is a friction between the wheels and the surface . I got the answer by finding the distance , and it was less than 3 m , so the correct answer is A .
If the wheels are turning, the friction between them and the surface is irrelevant. It is rolling contact.
There will be friction in the wheel axles, and some rolling resistance (look that up).
Delta² said:
The wheels have to be perfect circles in order for friction not to do any work..
If the wheels do not skid then no work is done against friction.

Given that some toy cars don't have wheels that actually rotate, it's impossible to agree on what the question actually intended. It's difficult to imagine a toy car on a rough surface without significant resisting forces. I suspect, therefore, that the OP solved the question as intended.

Likes Fatima Hasan
PeroK said:
It's difficult to imagine a toy car on a rough surface without significant resisting forces. I suspect, therefore, that the OP solved the question as intended.
Perhaps, but I feel it is important that Fatima is not left with the misunderstanding that this is just standard friction. It is a common blunder.
Your argument would be more reasonable if the question did not specifically refer to "μk".
There is also the possibility that it is a trick question. This is made more likely by the list of alternatives beyond "the car does not reach the spring". Why have a spring? Why not just ask whether the car reaches some point?
@Fatima Hasan , have you had it confirmed that your answer is officially correct?

haruspex said:
Perhaps, but I feel it is important that Fatima is not left with the misunderstanding that this is just standard friction. It is a common blunder.
Your argument would be more reasonable if the question did not specifically refer to "μk".
There is also the possibility that it is a trick question. This is made more likely by the list of alternatives beyond "the car does not reach the spring". Why have a spring? Why not just ask whether the car reaches some point?
@Fatima Hasan , have you had it confirmed that your answer is officially correct?
No

Related to Conservation of Energy -- Toy car hits and compresses a spring

1. How does a toy car hitting and compressing a spring demonstrate the conservation of energy?

When a toy car hits a spring, it transfers kinetic energy to the spring, causing it to compress. This energy is then stored as potential energy in the compressed spring. According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. Therefore, the initial kinetic energy of the car is conserved and transformed into potential energy in the spring.

2. Can the energy lost during the compression of the spring be recovered?

According to the law of conservation of energy, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. In this case, the energy lost during the compression of the spring is not lost, but rather transformed into potential energy in the spring. This energy can be recovered when the spring is released and the potential energy is converted back into kinetic energy, causing the toy car to move forward again.

3. How does the mass of the toy car affect the conservation of energy in this scenario?

The mass of the toy car does not affect the conservation of energy in this scenario. According to the law of conservation of energy, the amount of energy in a closed system remains constant regardless of the mass of the objects involved. The transfer and transformation of energy between the car and the spring will still occur, regardless of the mass of the car.

4. Can the toy car hit and compress the spring multiple times without any energy loss?

In theory, yes, the toy car can hit and compress the spring multiple times without any energy loss. However, in reality, there will always be some energy loss due to factors such as friction and air resistance. These external forces will cause some of the energy to be converted into other forms, such as heat, reducing the amount of energy available for the repeated compression of the spring.

5. How is the conservation of energy demonstrated in other real-world applications?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle that applies to all physical systems, including real-world applications. Some examples include a pendulum swinging, a rollercoaster going up and down hills, a light bulb producing light, and a battery powering an electronic device. In all of these cases, energy is transferred and transformed, but the total amount of energy remains constant, demonstrating the law of conservation of energy.