Conservation of energy problem

In summary: I appreciate your help!In summary, a 2.5 kg block of ice with an initial speed of 5.7 m/s and a temperature of 0 degrees celcius slides across a level floor. Using the formula KE = .5mv2, the ice has an initial kinetic energy of 41 J. Assuming all of this kinetic energy is converted to heat energy, .0000124 kg of ice will melt, based on the fact that 3.3 x 105 J are required to melt 1 kg of ice.
chops369

Homework Statement

A 2.5 kg block of ice at a temperature of zero degrees celcius and an initial speed of 5.7 m/s slides across a level floor. If 3.3 x 105 J are required to melt 1 kg of ice, how much ice melts, assuming that the initial kinetic energy of the ice block is entirely converted to the ice's internal energy?

Homework Equations

I think I need to use PE + KE + U = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to even begin :(

Physics news on Phys.org
chops369 said:

Homework Statement

A 2.5 kg block of ice at a temperature of zero degrees celcius and an initial speed of 5.7 m/s slides across a level floor. If 3.3 x 105 J are required to melt 1 kg of ice, how much ice melts, assuming that the initial kinetic energy of the ice block is entirely converted to the ice's internal energy?

Homework Equations

I think I need to use PE + KE + U = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to even begin :(

Well the formula for kinetic energy of a body is KE = .5mv2. So how much kinetic energy do we have in the block at the start? If you assume all of that gets transferred into heat energy how much ice did it melt?

Ok, so I used KE = .5mv2 and found that the ice has an initial KE of 41 J. Then I did 41 / 3.3 x 105 and I concluded that .0000124 kg of ice melted. Is this correct?

chops369 said:
Ok, so I used KE = .5mv2 and found that the ice has an initial KE of 41 J. Then I did 41 / 3.3 x 105 and I concluded that .0000124 kg of ice melted. Is this correct?

Sounds correct to me.

Great, thanks a lot.

Related to Conservation of energy problem

1. What is the conservation of energy problem?

The conservation of energy problem is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. Why is the conservation of energy important?

The conservation of energy is important because it allows us to accurately predict and understand the behavior of physical systems. It also helps us to develop efficient and sustainable energy sources and technologies.

3. How is the conservation of energy applied in real life?

The conservation of energy is applied in various ways in our daily lives. For example, it is used in the design of energy-efficient buildings and vehicles, in the production of renewable energy such as solar and wind power, and in the development of new technologies like electric cars and energy storage systems.

4. Can the conservation of energy be violated?

No, the conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been tested and proven to hold true in all physical systems. Any apparent violations of this law are due to incomplete understanding or measurement errors.

5. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of energy?

While the conservation of energy holds true in most physical systems, there are some exceptions. These include systems that involve nuclear reactions, where mass can be converted to energy, and systems that involve high-speed particles where relativistic effects come into play. However, these exceptions still adhere to the overall principle of energy conservation.