Conservation of Energy in a Block-Cylinder System

In summary, the conversation involves a question on a circular motion assignment that is connected to free fall. The situation mentioned in the question involves a 3.35 kg block attached to a string wrapped around a 1.22 kg, 5.03 cm diameter hollow cylinder that is free to rotate. The block is released from a height of 1.11 m and the question asks for the speed of the block when it hits the ground. The conservation of energy is discussed, with the conclusion that the gravitational potential energy of the block is converted into translational and rotational kinetic energy.
shashusad
I have this question on my Circular motion assignment, but its somehow connected to free fall. I'm unable to picturize the situation mentioned in question...

A 3.35 kg block is attached to a string that is wrapped around a 1.22 kg, 5.03 cm diameter hollow cylinder that is free to rotate on an axel through the center. The block is released 1.11 m above the ground. What is the speed of the block as it hits the ground?

Physics news on Phys.org
shashusad said:
I have this question on my Circular motion assignment, but its somehow connected to free fall. I'm unable to picturize the situation mentioned in question...

A 3.35 kg block is attached to a string that is wrapped around a 1.22 kg, 5.03 cm diameter hollow cylinder that is free to rotate on an axel through the center. The block is released 1.11 m above the ground. What is the speed of the block as it hits the ground?
As the block falls what happens to the cylinder? What's conserved?

(The block is not in free fall--it's connected by the string to the cylinder.)

The energy will be conserved. The gravitational potential energy of the block gets converted into tranlational kinetic energy of the block and rotational kinetic energy of the cylinder. I got the answer... Thanks a lot Doc Al !

Related to Conservation of Energy in a Block-Cylinder System

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It occurs when an object travels around a central point at a constant speed. This type of motion is characterized by a constant change in direction but a constant speed.

2. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object falling under the influence of gravity alone, with no other forces acting upon it. This means that the object is accelerating towards the ground at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

3. How are circular motion and free fall related?

Circular motion and free fall are related in that they both involve a constant acceleration. In circular motion, the object is accelerating towards the center of the circle, while in free fall, the object is accelerating towards the ground. Both types of motion also involve a constant change in direction.

4. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant while its direction changes. In non-uniform circular motion, the speed of the object changes as it moves along the circular path. This can happen when there are additional forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.

5. How can we calculate the velocity of an object in circular motion or free fall?

The velocity of an object in circular motion or free fall can be calculated using the formula v = ωr, where v is the velocity, ω is the angular velocity (how fast the object is rotating), and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula applies to both uniform and non-uniform circular motion.