How does gravity affect the velocity of a pendulum in circular motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of energy conservation and the assumption of a point particle in solving a physics problem involving a ball attached to a string. The question also involves an inelastic collision and the calculation of the velocity and height of the centre of mass after the collision. It is suggested to use the coefficient of restitution to solve the problem and avoid using quadratics.
Panphobia
If a ball weighing 0.2 kg is fastened at the end of a 1.5m string and is released from the horizontal position, what will the velocity be when the pendulum is at the bottom of the circle.

So I was wondering if I could use energy conservation for this question because that would make it a lot easier, if not how exactly would I start because this is not uniform circular motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Panphobia said:
If a ball weighing 0.2 kg is fastened at the end of a 1.5m string and is released from the horizontal position, what will the velocity be when the pendulum is at the bottom of the circle.

So I was wondering if I could use energy conservation for this question because that would make it a lot easier, if not how exactly would I start because this is not uniform circular motion.

Energy conservation is perfectly applicable in case of non uniform circular motion.

This ball has an unknown radius, so the initial energy would be Ei = mg(1.5 + x) and Ef = (1/2)mv^2 or does that x not matter?

Panphobia said:
This ball has an unknown radius, so the initial energy would be Ei = mg(1.5 + x) and Ef = (1/2)mv^2 or does that x not matter?

The ball is assumed to be a point particle.No need to consider 'x' .

Panphobia said:
Strictly speaking, yes, you need the vertical drop of the centre of mass, so you would need to add 1 radius.

Well the full question asks for the velocity of the ball after it hits a block at rest, and the b) part is asking how much the centre of mass increases in the y direction if the collision is inelastic, so it isn't a point particle.

Panphobia said:
Well the full question asks for the velocity of the ball after it hits a block at rest, and the b) part is asking how much the centre of mass increases in the y direction if the collision is inelastic, so it isn't a point particle.

Consider the ball as a point particle.Not only the ball,you have to assume the box to be a point particle as well.

i = circle
ii = block
R = (MiRi + MiiRii) / (Mi + Mii)
Since the change in height is all we want, let's say r = radius, and a = height of box, Riy = r, Riiy = a/2, then Ry = 0.4r + 0.3a, this doesn't seem right, what am I doing wrong?

Panphobia said:
You man, perhaps, how far the centre moves in the y direction? Would you mind posting the full text, word-for-word?
As Tanya Sharma says, if you're not told the radius you pretty much have to take it to be a point particle. If you were to take the radius into account completely, you'd also have to consider the rotation of the ball as it swings down. Very messy.

Here is the question
2istlqu.png

How can you get the height that the centre of mass rises if you don't apply the same logic from b) to a)?

Panphobia said:
Here is the question
2istlqu.png
OK, you previously left out the 'sticking together' bit.
Clearly you can use energy conservation in a).
For b), you must consider two events:
- the collision itself, which is inelastic, so energy is not conserved. Instead, you know that the two objects move together afterwards, so you have an equation from that instead of the work equation. Find the velocity then.
- after the collision, work is conserved during subsequent motion.

oh wait so the b) part is saying, when they stick together and they continue on that path at the new velocity what is the maximum height it reaches?

Also for the a) part I would like to check the logic of my answer. So first of all I got the initial v of the ball just before it hits the block with energy, then I made m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2', but I had two unknowns so since it is an elastic collision I can use energy so then I did (0.5)m1v1^2 = (0.5)m1v1'^2 + (0.5)m2v2'^2, then when everything was subbed in I had to use the quadratic formula, and got -0.198 and 9.01 m/s, I think that -0.198 is the most applicable intuitively, right? Also I still don't understand b) is it looking for the change in height of centre of mass when they are stuck together versus when they are apart or what?

Last edited:
Panphobia said:
Also for the a) part I would like to check the logic of my answer. So first of all I got the initial v of the ball just before it hits the block with energy, then I made m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2', but I had two unknowns so since it is an elastic collision I can use energy so then I did (0.5)m1v1^2 = (0.5)m1v1'^2 + (0.5)m2v2'^2, then when everything was subbed in I had to use the quadratic formula, and got -0.198 and 9.01 m/s, I think that -0.198 is the most applicable intuitively, right?
You can avoid quadratics. (1) m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2'; (2) m1v1^2 = m1v1'^2 + m2v2'^2
From (2): m1(v1^2 - v1'^2) = m2v2'^2 = m1(v1-v1')(v1+v1')
From (1): m1(v1 - v1') = m2v2'; m1(v1 - v1')(v1+v1') = m2v2'(v1+v1')
Combining: m2v2'^2 = m2v2'(v1+v1'); v2' = v1+v1'
This is just Newton's Experimental Law with coefficient of restitution = 1.
Also I still don't understand b) is it looking for the change in height of centre of mass when they are stuck together versus when they are apart or what?
You know they have the same speed after impact in this case. Find that speed. What KE does that imply? If they continue together (still attached to the string), what will be their KE at the highest point of the swing?

Yea now I understand b) its 1/2m(1+2)vf^2 = m(1+2)gh

Last edited:
so then in that rearranged energy equation do we just get the momentum equation, and sub it in? It seems to me just by the equations you showed me that you can't isolate for one variable, I am probably wrong though. So after that I derived the equation for v1' = (m1v1 - m2v1) / (m1+m2), is that right?

Last edited:
Panphobia said:
so then in that rearranged energy equation do we just get the momentum equation, and sub it in? It seems to me just by the equations you showed me that you can't isolate for one variable, I am probably wrong though. So after that I derived the equation for v1' = (m1v1 - m2v1) / (m1+m2), is that right?
Why the -m2v1? Pls post your derivation of that equation.

m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2'
m1(v1 - v1') = m2v2'

m1v1^2 = m1v1'^2 + m2v2'^2
m1(v1-v1')(v1+v1') = m2v2'^2
v2' = v1 + v1'

m1(v1-v1')(v1+v1') = m2(v1+v1')(v1+v1')

m1v1 - m1v1' = m2v1 + m2v1'
m1v1 - m2v1 = m2v1' + m1v1'
v1(m1-m2) = v1'(m2+m1)
v1' = v1(m1-m2)/(m2+m1)
There you go.

Panphobia said:
m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2'
m1(v1 - v1') = m2v2'

m1v1^2 = m1v1'^2 + m2v2'^2
m1(v1-v1')(v1+v1') = m2v2'^2
v2' = v1 + v1'

m1(v1-v1')(v1+v1') = m2(v1+v1')(v1+v1')

m1v1 - m1v1' = m2v1 + m2v1'
m1v1 - m2v1 = m2v1' + m1v1'
v1(m1-m2) = v1'(m2+m1)
v1' = v1(m1-m2)/(m2+m1)
There you go.
Oh, sorry, I thought your post #17 was on part b.
Yes, this is right for part a.

post #16 was on b)

Panphobia said:
post #16 was on b)
Yes, and I misinterpreted 17 as a continuation of 16.
Are we done?

Haha yea thanks :D

Related to How does gravity affect the velocity of a pendulum in circular motion?

1. What is circular motion in gravity?

Circular motion in gravity is the movement of an object in a circular path due to the gravitational force acting on it. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects orbiting around a central body, such as planets orbiting around the sun.

2. How is circular motion in gravity different from linear motion?

Circular motion in gravity is different from linear motion because in circular motion, the direction of the object's velocity is constantly changing due to the centripetal force of gravity. In linear motion, the object's velocity remains constant in both magnitude and direction.

3. What is the centripetal force in circular motion in gravity?

The centripetal force in circular motion in gravity is the force that acts towards the center of the circular path, keeping the object in its circular motion. In the case of objects orbiting a central body, this force is provided by the gravitational force between the two objects.

4. What factors affect the speed of an object in circular motion in gravity?

The speed of an object in circular motion in gravity is affected by the mass of the object, the mass of the central body, and the distance between the two objects. The greater the mass of the central body, the faster the object must travel to maintain its orbit. The greater the distance between the two objects, the slower the object's speed will be.

5. Can circular motion in gravity occur without the presence of gravity?

No, circular motion in gravity requires the presence of the gravitational force. In the absence of gravity, an object will move in a straight line at a constant speed, rather than in a circular path.