Conservation of energy and change in energy

In summary, the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. When a ball is released from a particular height, the energy it has been given through work or potential energy decreases as it moves due to changes in velocity and height. When it reaches the ground, the collision may result in some loss of energy, such as thermal or sound energy, but the total energy remains constant. This is true even for inelastic collisions where the ball may smush to a stop, or elastic collisions where the ball bounces back up with almost the same amount of energy.
physio
Suppose i have a ball of mass m and if i left the ball at a particular height 'h', then i have done some work on it or by the law of conservation of energy i have transferred some energy to the ball. Now suppose i release the ball isn't the energy that i have transferred changing because it moves with a particular acceleration and hence a changing velocity and also the potential energy keeps on decreasing as the height decreases, then doesn't the energy necessarily change?

So how is energy constant. The ball falls down and is then at rest and hence has no potential energy or kinetic energy (mgh=0; 1/2mv^2=0), hence the potential energy given to the ball mgh now becomes 0 (mgh-->0). Thus energy has been destroyed isn't it??

Physics news on Phys.org
physio said:
Suppose i have a ball of mass m and if i left the ball at a particular height 'h', then i have done some work on it or by the law of conservation of energy i have transferred some energy to the ball. Now suppose i release the ball isn't the energy that i have transferred changing because it moves with a particular acceleration and hence a changing velocity and also the potential energy keeps on decreasing as the height decreases, then doesn't the energy necessarily change?

So how is energy constant. The ball falls down and is then at rest and hence has no potential energy or kinetic energy (mgh=0; 1/2mv^2=0), hence the potential energy given to the ball mgh now becomes 0 (mgh-->0). Thus energy has been destroyed isn't it??

The velocity increases thus decrease in potential energy is balanced by increase in kinetic energy

But what about the bottom most position? The velocity is zero and also the height is zero (object at rest). Where did the mgh + 1/2mv^2 go?

There must be a force to "brake" the object to a halt. Have you seen an object just stop when it reaches the ground. Try dropping a glass.

physio said:

If the ball is made of putty or something like that, it smushes to a stop when it hits the ground. The collision with the ground is completely inelastic, and the kinetic energy of the ball is converted to thermal energy ("heat") and a bit of sound energy.

If the ball and the ground are both, say, steel, the collision is elastic and the ball bounces back up with almost as much KE just after the bounce as it had just before the bounce. In practice no collision is completely elastic, so you get a little bit of energy loss to "heat".

Thanks...^

Related to Conservation of energy and change in energy

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

In what ways can energy be transformed?

Energy can be transformed from one form to another, such as from potential energy to kinetic energy, or from electrical energy to light energy. It can also be transferred from one object to another through processes like heat transfer or work.

Can energy be lost in a system?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be lost in a system. However, it can be converted into forms that are not useful or usable, such as heat energy being lost to the environment.

How is energy conserved in real-world scenarios?

In real-world scenarios, energy is conserved through various processes and systems. For example, in a closed-loop energy system like a hydroelectric power plant, potential energy from water is converted into electrical energy, and then the electrical energy is used to power homes and businesses. The energy is not lost, but rather transformed and transferred throughout the system.

What is the relationship between energy and work?

Energy and work are closely related, as work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. In order for work to be done, energy must be transferred or transformed. This is why the law of conservation of energy is important, as it ensures that energy is always conserved and can be used for work in various forms.