Conservation of Energy and Angular Momentum in a Satellite Breakup

In summary, the conversation discusses the technical failure of a satellite orbiting a planet, which results in the satellite breaking into two equal parts with mass m/2 each. Despite this failure, the total energy and angular momentum of each part are shown to be equal to -3GM/16r and (m/2)√(GMr), respectively, with respect to the planet's center. The conversation also addresses the confusion over the velocities of the two parts, clarifying that the original tangential velocity, v, and the radial velocity with which the two parts move apart, v0, are not the same but are both important in determining the total energy of each part.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

A satellite with mass m orbits a planet of mass M in a circular path with radius r and velocity v. Due to some internal technical failure, the satellite breaks into two, similar parts with mass m/2 each. In the satellite's frame of reference, it appears the two parts move radially, in opposite directions, along the line connecting the original satellite and the planet's center, each with velocity v0/2. I am expected to show that right after the technical failure, each of the two parts has a total energy equal to -3GM/16r and angular momentum equal to (m/2)√(GMr), wrt the planet's center.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The total energy of each of the two parts should be, I believe: Etot = mv02/16 - GmM/(2r). Now, isn't angular momentum preserved despite the failure? However, why isn't the angular momentum zero if the two parts are moving in opposite directions?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi peripatein! :smile:
peripatein said:
Now, isn't angular momentum preserved despite the failure?

yes :smile:
However, why isn't the angular momentum zero if the two parts are moving in opposite directions?

you're misreading the question …

they are moving in opposite directions in the rest-frame of the satellite

imagine a rod moving sideways, and two beads moving with equal speeds away from each other along it …

the actual motions of the beads are both diagonally forwards :wink:

The velocity of the the CoM remains v, right? And I know that wrt that CoM, each part moves at +-v0/2, right? Ergo, the velocity of each part wrt to the planet's center should be the sum of the CoM's velocity (which I know) and the velocity of the respective part wrt the CoM (which I also know), correct?

yes.

Don't I need some sort of relation between v and v0? I am unable to obtain that through conservation of angular momentum though.

i think vo and v are suposed to be the same

tiny-tim said:

No. v is the original tangential velocity. v0 is the radial velocity with which the two move apart.

peripatein said:
The total energy of each of the two parts should be, I believe: Etot = mv02/16 - GmM/(2r).
They also have the KE of the original tangential velocity, v.

tiny-tim said:
haruspex said:
No. v is the original tangential velocity. v0 is the radial velocity with which the two move apart.

i think vo and v are supposed to be the same :smile:

tiny-tim said:
i think vo and v are supposed to be the same :smile:
Ah, you mean equal, which is not quite the same as same :biggrin:.

Related to Conservation of Energy and Angular Momentum in a Satellite Breakup

1. What is a satellite?

A satellite is an object that orbits around a larger object in space. It can be natural, such as a moon orbiting around a planet, or artificial, such as a man-made spacecraft orbiting around the Earth.

2. How do satellites stay in orbit?

Satellites stay in orbit due to a balance between the force of gravity pulling the satellite towards the larger object and the satellite's forward motion, which creates centrifugal force that keeps it from falling towards the object.

3. What is the role of gravity in satellite orbit?

Gravity is the force that keeps satellites in orbit. The larger the object, the stronger its gravitational pull, which is why satellites orbiting around larger planets like Jupiter experience a stronger force of gravity compared to those orbiting around smaller planets like Mercury.

4. How is the orbit of a satellite determined?

The orbit of a satellite is determined by its altitude, speed, and the mass of the object it is orbiting. These factors, along with the gravitational force, determine the shape and size of the satellite's orbit.

5. Can satellites fall out of orbit?

Yes, satellites can fall out of orbit due to factors such as atmospheric drag, gravitational perturbations from other objects, or a decrease in the satellite's altitude. When this happens, the satellite may either burn up in the atmosphere or crash onto the surface of the larger object it was orbiting.