Angular momentum of a satellite

In summary, the satellite's angular momentum is directly proportional to its mass, velocity, and/or radius orbit.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

A satellite is in a circular orbit of radius R from the planet's center of mass around a planet of mass M.

The angular momentum of the satellite in its orbit is:
I. directly proportional to R.
II. directly proportional to the square root of R
III. directly proportional to the square root of M.

The correct answer apparently is II and III.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, I thought that since the satellite's angular momentum is mvR * sin(90), then its angular momentum would be directly proportional to its mass, velocity, and/or even the radius orbit.

I was thus the only thing that made sense.

Why is the correct answer II and III? Thanks so much in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
RoboNerd said:
OK, I thought that since the satellite's angular momentum is mvR * sin(90), then its angular momentum would be directly proportional to its mass, velocity, and/or even the radius orbit.

angular momentum is moment of momentum , in a way you may have correctly thought of the dependence ;
but is there a dependence of v on R?
may be v is proportional to R^ -1/2 ! then the ang. momentum can be said to be dependent on R^1/2

Last edited:
RoboNerd said:

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a slightly nasty question because, in general, angular momentum is directly proportional to ##r## and ##v##. So, if the question were:

An object is moving past a planet at a distance ##R##, its angular momentum is ...? Then "proportional to R" would be correct.

But, in a circular orbit, ##v## depends on ##R## and the mass of the planet and the gravitational constant. So, it was necessary to express angular momentum in terms of all the known variables first.

The question is a bit tricky in my opinion. Slightly disengenuous, perhaps.

drvrm said:
may be v is proportional to R^ -1/2 ! then the ang. momentum can be said to be dependent on R^1/2
If I have G * mass planet * mass sattelite / r^2 = mass sat. * v^2 /r

Then I have v = sqrt( G * mass planet/ r).

So the velocity is not directly proportional to the square root of r, but inversely proportional! Right?

RoboNerd said:

So the velocity is not directly proportional to the square root of r, but inversely proportional! Right?
Yes.

Likes RoboNerd
RoboNerd said:

your angular momentum is equal to m.v. r and if you say v to be proportional to 1/sqrt(r) ,

then you get the ang. momentum as directly proportional to sqrt(r) ;
i think that is what you need .
regarding dependence on mass - if you replace v in terms of mass and r which are under sqrt sign ---one can say that angular momentum is proportional to sqrt(mass) also

RoboNerd said:
II. directly proportional to the square root of R
III. directly proportional to the square root of M.

The correct answer apparently is II and III.
-

so at least it corroborates the answer

drvrm said:
then you get the ang. momentum as directly proportional to sqrt(r) ;

No, I think it would be inversely proportional?

RoboNerd said:
No, I think it would be inversely proportional?

so , again i repeat for your consideration:
L = m.v.r ,
v = constant / sqrt(r) ; substitute in L (ang. momentum)
L= m. constant / sqrt(r) . r = m . constant. sqrt(r) so L is proportional to sqrt(r)
as r = sqrt(r). sqrt(r)

Related to Angular momentum of a satellite

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around a fixed point. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to a satellite?

In the case of a satellite, its angular momentum is the product of its moment of inertia and its angular velocity as it orbits around a celestial body, such as a planet or a star.

3. Can the angular momentum of a satellite change?

Yes, the angular momentum of a satellite can change due to external forces acting on it, such as gravitational forces from other objects or atmospheric drag. However, the total angular momentum of a satellite in a closed system remains constant.

4. How is the angular momentum of a satellite calculated?

The angular momentum of a satellite can be calculated by multiplying its moment of inertia by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia can be determined using the satellite's mass, radius, and shape, while the angular velocity can be calculated from its orbital period.

5. What is the importance of angular momentum in satellite motion?

Angular momentum is crucial in understanding the motion of satellites because it helps determine their stability and predict their orbits. It also plays a role in the transfer of energy between a satellite and its parent body, such as during orbital maneuvers. Additionally, conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law in physics that governs the behavior of satellites in space.