Conservation of Elastic and Gravitational Energy

In summary, the problem involves a 70 kg bungee jumper falling a total of 37 m while tied to a bungee cord with an unstretched length of 13 m. Using the equation 0.5kx^2 + mgy = constant, where x is the amount of stretch and y is the change in vertical position, the spring stiffness constant of the bungee cord can be calculated. The bungee cord was initially slack and stretched 24 m upon the jumper's jump.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

A 70 kg bungee jumper jumps from a bridge. She is tied to a bungee cord whose unstretched length is 13 m , and falls a total of 37 m .

Calculate the spring stiffness constant of the bungee cord, assuming Hooke's law applies.

Homework Equations

0.5kx^2 (final) + mgy (final) + 0.5mv^2 (final) = mgy (initial) + 0.5kx^2 (initial) + 0.5mv^2 (initial)

The Attempt at a Solution

Her mass won't change throughout the problem but for the sake of keeping everything organized, I'll just share what I plugged in. K is the unknown, but aren't the initial "x" and "y" positions 13 m? That's a little weird to me and that's why I'm thinking I used in the correct equation. I found out I didn't need the 0.5mv^2 at all because kinetic energy is zero at the beginning and end.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself whether the bungee cord is initially slack, tied to bridge at her jumping height, or whether it is tied 13m above her. In one case she'll free-fall for 13 m before the bungee cord starts to act, in the other case it will start immediately to apply a retarding force.

PeachBanana said:

Homework Statement

A 70 kg bungee jumper jumps from a bridge. She is tied to a bungee cord whose unstretched length is 13 m , and falls a total of 37 m .

Calculate the spring stiffness constant of the bungee cord, assuming Hooke's law applies.

Homework Equations

0.5kx^2 (final) + mgy (final) + 0.5mv^2 (final) = mgy (initial) + 0.5kx^2 (initial) + 0.5mv^2 (initial)

The Attempt at a Solution

Her mass won't change throughout the problem but for the sake of keeping everything organized, I'll just share what I plugged in. K is the unknown, but aren't the initial "x" and "y" positions 13 m? That's a little weird to me and that's why I'm thinking I used in the correct equation. I found out I didn't need the 0.5mv^2 at all because kinetic energy is zero at the beginning and end.
x is the amount of stretch (ie. 37-13) and y is the change in vertical position (37). Essentially the decrease in gravitational potential energy results in an equal increase in the elastic potential energy of the bungee cord. When the cord is 13 m. it has no potential energy so treat x0 (unstretched) as 0.

AM

I ended up getting the correct answer. This means the bungee cord was initially slack because she hadn't jumped but the moment she DID jump the bungee cord stretched 24 m because it was 13 m in length.

I would like to first clarify that conservation of energy is a fundamental law in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another. In the case of the bungee jumper, the conservation of energy applies to the elastic and gravitational potential energies involved in the system.

Using the given information, we can apply the conservation of energy equation to determine the stiffness constant of the bungee cord. Since the jumper's mass remains constant throughout the problem, we can simplify the equation to:

0.5kx^2 (final) + mgy (final) = mgy (initial) + 0.5kx^2 (initial)

We can substitute the given values for mass (m = 70 kg), initial and final positions (x = 13 m and 37 m, respectively), and acceleration due to gravity (g = 9.8 m/s^2). This leaves us with one unknown variable, k, the stiffness constant.

Solving for k, we get a value of approximately 10,000 N/m. This means that for every meter the bungee cord stretches, it exerts a force of 10,000 Newtons. This is a very high value, which is expected for a bungee cord since it needs to be able to support the weight of the jumper and withstand the forces of the fall.

In conclusion, the conservation of energy principle is a useful tool in understanding the behavior of physical systems, such as the bungee jumper's fall. By applying this principle, we were able to calculate the stiffness constant of the bungee cord and gain a better understanding of the energy involved in this system.

Related to Conservation of Elastic and Gravitational Energy

1. What is the conservation of elastic and gravitational energy?

The conservation of elastic and gravitational energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. In other words, the total amount of elastic and gravitational energy in a system remains constant.

2. How is elastic energy conserved?

Elastic energy is conserved when an object is stretched or compressed, such as a spring. As the object is deformed, potential energy is stored in the elastic material. When the object returns to its original shape, the stored potential energy is released and converted back into kinetic energy, resulting in conservation of energy.

3. What about gravitational energy?

Gravitational energy is conserved when an object is lifted or falls due to gravity. As the object gains height, its potential energy increases. When the object falls, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in conservation of energy.

4. Does the conservation of elastic and gravitational energy apply to all systems?

Yes, the conservation of elastic and gravitational energy applies to all systems, from small-scale objects like a rubber band to large-scale systems like planets and galaxies. As long as there is no external energy input or output, the total amount of elastic and gravitational energy will remain constant.

5. How is the conservation of elastic and gravitational energy useful?

The conservation of elastic and gravitational energy is useful in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. It allows scientists to calculate the potential and kinetic energy of objects and how they will be affected by external forces. This principle also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and environmental science.