Conservation of energy with a bungee jumper

In summary, a 64kg person bungee jumps from a tethered balloon 65m high. The cord has unstretched length 25.8m. The cord is modeled as a spring that obeys hooke's law with spring constant 81N/m and the person's body is modeled as a particle. The balloon does not move.
lordbolton
1. Starting from rest, a 64kg person bungee jumps from a tethered balloon 65m high. The cord has unstretched length 25.8m. The cord is modeled as a spring that obeys hooke's law with spring constant 81N/m and the person's body is modeled as a particle. The balloon does not move. a) Express the gravitational potential energy of the person as a function of the person's variable height y above the ground. Express the elastic potential energy of the cord as a function of y. Assume air resistance is negligible, determine the minimum height of the person above the ground during his plunge.

Homework Equations

Hooke's law f = -kx
Work done by a spring = (1/2)kx^2
Gravitational potential energy U =mgy

3. I have no idea where to start here. I used mgy for the first one. Second one I put (1/2)(81)(25.8-y)^2. For the final one I used mgy to find the person's potential energy at the very top (40,768J)before the jump and used that as total energy. Then, I equated that to mgy + 1/2(81)(25.8-y)^2 and solved which gave me y as 1.16m. I don't think that's correct though since a bungee jumper would risk going that close to the ground before the cord pulls him back up.

Physics news on Phys.org
You got the elastic potential energy of the spring incorrectly. If the unextended length of the spring is 25.8 m, then the altitude of the bottom of the spring at which the spring is unextended is 65.0 - 25.8 = 40.2 m. The amount of spring extension when the person is at altitude y is then ??

Chet

So I used your correction and recalculated and got y = 19.597 which seems correct. Is that the right answer though? I have no way to check.

lordbolton said:
So I used your correction and recalculated and got y = 19.597 which seems correct. Is that the right answer though? I have no way to check.

I got a different answer. Show us what you did.

Chet

mgy at 39.2 is 25,213 J.
So I subtract that from the total energy 40,768J which leaves 15,554.56J
Then I equate that with (.5)(81)(y^2) and solve for y which gives 19.61

Also tried using the equation mgy + (1/2)(k)(39.2-y)^2 = 40,768 and solving using the quadratic formula which gave y as 7.47

lordbolton said:
Also tried using the equation mgy + (1/2)(k)(39.2-y)^2 = 40,768 and solving using the quadratic formula which gave y as 7.47
This is the correct equation to use, but the solution is wrong. I plugged 7.47 into your equation, but the equation was not satisfied. I get ~ 10 m.

Chet

Tried it again, got x = 10.02m. So thanks for the help. Are my a) and b) correct though?

lordbolton said:
Tried it again, got x = 10.02m. So thanks for the help. Are my a) and b) correct though?
Yes. Those are the terms in your equation, and they are correct.

Chet

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another.

How does the law of conservation of energy apply to a bungee jumper?

When a bungee jumper jumps off a platform, their potential energy (due to their height) is converted into kinetic energy as they fall. As they reach the end of the bungee cord, the kinetic energy is transformed back into potential energy as the cord stretches. This back and forth transformation of energy follows the law of conservation of energy.

Why is it important to consider conservation of energy when designing a bungee jumping experience?

Considering conservation of energy is important to ensure the safety and success of a bungee jumping experience. Without proper calculations and understanding of energy transformations, the bungee cord could be too long or too short, resulting in a dangerous or unsatisfying jump.

Can a bungee jumper violate the law of conservation of energy?

No, the law of conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that cannot be violated. Even though a bungee jumper may experience extreme movements and forces, the total amount of energy in the system will always remain constant.

How can conservation of energy be used to improve bungee jumping safety?

By carefully considering and calculating the potential and kinetic energies involved in a bungee jump, engineers and designers can ensure that the bungee cord and other safety measures are appropriately sized and placed. This helps to minimize the risk of accidents and ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for bungee jumpers.