Connection Speed vs Download Speed?

In summary, the windows connection icon is displaying the speed of your internet connection, which is usually slower then the download speed.
Saladsamurai
Hello :smile:

I am wondering about something. Why when I 'hover' over the windows connection icon in the system tray it is showing this:

1-1.jpg

What does that speed mean? Because I am downloading something right now and it is certainly not downloading at 54.0 Mbps

This is the actual speed:

2-1.jpg

What is going on here?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The connection speed is the total bandwidth of your internet connection, so it's the maximum amount of traffic you can have on your line at any moment. You almost never hit that total as a matter of course, but you're seeing traffic limiting on the content providers site. You don't control how fast a download is, the guy providing the download does (though he can't provide content any faster than your connection let's you download it.) Just like you can't download anything faster then your max capacity, they can't send something faster to you then their capacity. Websites limit download speeds on their sides at some fixed rate, usually depending on their overall traffic and bandwidth capacities.

Last edited:
54 mbps is the speed of your wireless network.

If you have a cable modem, it's ethernet connection speed is probably 100mbps or perhaps 1000 mbps (motorola sb6120). I'm not sure about dsl modem ethernet speeds.

Your motherboard ethernet connection speed is probably 1000 mpbs, but will run at the speed of the cable modem unless you have a switcher between the devices.

Your cable or dsl modem bandwidth is set by your isp, probably from 1mpbs to 25mpbs, and upload speed is often slower than download speed.

The download speeds reported by applications are usually in kilo-bytes per second, not mega-bits per second. For an approximate speed multiply KB by 8 or divide mbps by 8 to get comparable values.

You can go to a website like

http://www.speedtest.net

to measure your actual bandwidth.

Also, many servers throttle connections for each TCP session to regulate bandwidth usage on a per connection basis. This ensures that users with high bandwidth connections do not saturate the links to the web server being accessed and cause other users to experience poor performance.

Because of this, it is best to use sites like www.speakeasy.net[/url] or [url]www.speedtest.net[/URL] (as Jeff Reid has suggested) to obtain the most accurate reading for a given connection's data transfer rate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello there! I can explain the difference between connection speed and download speed. Connection speed refers to the maximum potential speed at which your device can connect to the internet. This is typically measured in megabits per second (Mbps) and is determined by factors such as your internet service provider, network equipment, and distance from the router. On the other hand, download speed refers to the actual speed at which data is being transferred from the internet to your device. This can vary depending on various factors such as the server you are downloading from, network congestion, and the type of device you are using. So, while your connection speed may be 54.0 Mbps, your actual download speed may be lower due to these factors. I hope this helps clarify things for you!

What is the difference between connection speed and download speed?

Connection speed refers to the rate at which data is transferred between your device and the internet. It is typically measured in megabits per second (Mbps). Download speed, on the other hand, refers to the rate at which data is transferred from the internet to your device. It is also measured in Mbps.

Why is my connection speed different from my download speed?

Your connection speed and download speed may be different due to various factors, such as the type of internet connection you have, the quality of your network hardware, and the server's capacity to send data. Additionally, other factors such as network congestion and distance from the server can also impact your download speed.

How can I improve my connection speed and download speed?

To improve your connection speed and download speed, you can try a few things. First, make sure you have a reliable and fast internet service provider. You can also upgrade your network hardware, such as your router or modem, to support higher connection speeds. Additionally, optimizing your device's settings and limiting the number of devices connected to your network can also help improve your speeds.

What is a good connection speed and download speed?

A good connection speed and download speed may vary depending on your needs. For general internet browsing and streaming, a connection speed of at least 25 Mbps is considered good. For more intensive activities, such as online gaming or downloading large files, a higher speed of 100 Mbps or more may be required.

How can I test my connection speed and download speed?

You can test your connection speed and download speed by using online speed testing tools or apps. These tests typically measure your speed by downloading and uploading a small amount of data and calculating the speed based on the time it takes to transfer the data. Keep in mind that these tests may not always be accurate, and your actual speeds may vary depending on various factors.