Download Speeds: Limiting Factors and Mass Production

• Thread starter NetMage
  • Start date
In summary: Certainly there are cases for systems that receive and filter large data streams down to something use-able by humans. But these cases are relatively rare; it doesn't make to sense design mass market telecommunication system where the default is to deliver huge data streams all the way out to every end user, where only then is it filtered down.In summary, you believe that if a wealthy individual wanted to, they could start a company that could mass produce 10 Terabit/s download speeds. This would revolutionize communications, as hard drives can only write data at about 50 MB/sec on a good day and HDTV is only about 5, so what use is vastly more bandwidth?
Buy more internet...

Computer science news on Phys.org
My ISP is a small small company, I don't think they offer bigger bandwidths than what we get already.

I could be wrong though...

Hm, could someone break down the cost estimation for each part of starting a high speed internet service? What is so costly about doing this? What makes increasing bandwidths more expensive? What all would I need as far as the components to supply 1 home with a wireless broadband at maybe 8 Mbps or so??

Netmage, unless you are rather wealthy, it isn't going to happen.

The equipment alone will set you back quite a bit.

I don't know why you're so hell bent on having your own internet service. If you can't get it cheaply from a local service, I can guarantee you that it can't be done cheaply by yourself.