Connected components of upper triangular matrices

In summary, The conversation revolves around finding the number of connected components of the group of 2x2 invertible upper triangular matrices over R. The approach discussed involves considering a homeomorphism of the group to \mathbf{R}^3 and using the fact that the determinant must be non-zero. It is concluded that the group has at least 4 connected components, but it is not shown that each individual piece is connected.
Pietjuh
Hello, I'm working on a problem in topology. I'm supposed to find the number of connected components of the group of 2x2 invertible upper triangular matrices over R which i shall call [itex]B_2[/itex].

I've tried it a bit, but I don't know for sure if my approach (and answer) is correct.

Since any homeomorphism preserves connectivity, I consider the trivial homeomorphism of [itex]B_2[/itex] to [itex]\mathbf{R}^3[/itex].

Since the matrices have to be invertible the determinant is non-zero which means that for matrices (a b | 0 c), ac > 0 or ac < 0. But he piece with positive determinant splits in 2 non connected pieces, {(a,b,c) | a > 0 and c > 0} and {(a,b,c) | a < 0 and c < 0}. The same sort of thing holds for the piece with negative determinant.

Is it correct to assert from this that [itex]B_2[/itex] has 4 connected components?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that shows it splits into at least 4 connected components. You've not show that each of those individual pieces is connected.

Related to Connected components of upper triangular matrices

1. What are connected components of upper triangular matrices?

Connected components of upper triangular matrices refer to the different groups or clusters of elements within an upper triangular matrix that are connected to each other through a series of non-zero entries. These components can be identified by analyzing the non-zero entries and their relationships within the matrix.

2. How are connected components of upper triangular matrices useful in scientific research?

Connected components of upper triangular matrices can be used in various scientific fields, such as network analysis, graph theory, and data clustering. They can help identify patterns and relationships within a dataset and provide insights into the structure and organization of complex systems.

3. Can you give an example of connected components in an upper triangular matrix?

Sure, let's say we have the following upper triangular matrix:

[1, 3, 0, 0]
[0, 2, 5, 0]
[0, 0, 4, 0]
[0, 0, 0, 6]

In this matrix, there are three connected components: {1, 3}, {2, 5}, and {4, 6}. The elements in each component are connected to each other through non-zero entries in the matrix.

4. How do you determine the number of connected components in an upper triangular matrix?

The number of connected components in an upper triangular matrix can be determined by using algorithms such as breadth-first search or depth-first search. These algorithms traverse through the matrix and identify the different groups of connected elements, thus providing the total number of components.

5. Are there any real-world applications of connected components of upper triangular matrices?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of connected components of upper triangular matrices. For example, in social network analysis, these components can help identify communities within a network of individuals. In image processing, they can be used to segment images into distinct regions. They can also be applied in bioinformatics to analyze gene networks and identify clusters of genes with similar functions.