Connected components of a metric subspace

In summary, we have shown that the subspace U is open and can be written as a disjoint union of two path connected open sets, which are its connected components.
mahler1
Homework Statement .
Consider the subspace ##U## of the metric space ##(C[0,1],d_∞)## defined as ##U=\{f \in C[0,1] : f(x)≠0 \forall x \in [0,1] \}##. Prove that ##U## is open and find its connected components.

The attempt at a solution.
First I've proved that ##U## is open. I want to check if my proof is correct:
Let ##f \in U##. ##f(x)≠0## and ##f## is continuous, this means ##f(x)>0## or ##f(x)<0##. Suppose ##f(x)>0##. The function ##f## is a continuous function defined on a compact set then there exists ##x_0 \in [0,1]## such that ##f(x)≥f(x_0)>0 \forall x \in [0,1]##. Consider the ball ##B(f,\frac{f(x_0)}{2})##. Let ##g \in B(f,\frac{f(x_0)}{2})##. Then, ##|f(x)-g(x)|≤sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)-g(x)|=d_∞(f(x),g(x))<\frac{f(x_0)}{2} ##.But then ##f(x)-g(x)<\frac{f(x_0)}{2}→0<f(x)-\frac{f(x_0)}{2}<g(x)##. This proves that ##g \in U## for an arbitrary ##g \in B(f,\frac{f(x_0)}{2})→B(f,\frac{f(x_0)}{2}) \subset U##

The case ##f(x)<0## is analogue. ##f## is a continuous function on a compact set, then there exists ##x_1 \in [0,1]## such that ##f(x)≤f(x_1)<0 \forall x \in [0,1]##. Consider the ball ##B(f,\frac{-f(x_1)}{2})##. Let ##g \in B(f,\frac{-f(x_1)}{2})##. Then ##|f(x)-g(x)|≤sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)-g(x)|=d_∞(f(x),g(x))<\frac{-f(x_1)}{2}##. This means ##\frac{f(x_1)}{2}<f(x)-g(x)→0<\frac{f(x_1)}{2}-f(x)<-g(x)→0>f(x)-\frac{f(x_1)}{2}>g(x)##. This implies ##g \in U## for an arbitrary ##g \in B(f,\frac{f(x_1)}{2})→B(f,\frac{f(x_1)}{2}) \subset U##

I am stuck on the second part of the problem. If a function f is in the subspace U, then the connected component of f would be the union of all the connected subspaces in U that contain f. My doubt is: What are the connected components of a subspace (in this case, U)?. How could I try to find them?

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .
Consider the subspace ##U## of the metric space ##(C[0,1],d_∞)## defined as ##U=\{f \in C[0,1] : f(x)≠0 \forall x \in [0,1] \}##. Prove that ##U## is open and find its connected components.

Let ##f \in U##. ##f(x)≠0## and ##f## is continuous, this means ##f(x)>0## or ##f(x)<0##. Suppose ##f(x)>0##. The function ##f## is a continuous function defined on a compact set then there exists ##x_0 \in [0,1]## such that ##f(x)≥f(x_0)>0 \forall x \in [0,1]##. Consider the ball ##B(f,\frac{f(x_0)}{2})##. Let ##g \in B(f,\frac{f(x_0)}{2})##. Then, ##|f(x)-g(x)|≤sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)-g(x)|=d_∞(f(x),g(x))<\frac{f(x_0)}{2} ##.But then ##f(x)-g(x)<\frac{f(x_0)}{2}→0<f(x)-\frac{f(x_0)}{2}<g(x)##. This proves that ##g \in U## for an arbitrary ##g \in B(f,\frac{f(x_0)}{2})→B(f,\frac{f(x_0)}{2}) \subset U##

The case ##f(x)<0## is analogue. ##f## is a continuous function on a compact set, then there exists ##x_1 \in [0,1]## such that ##f(x)≤f(x_1)<0 \forall x \in [0,1]##. Consider the ball ##B(f,\frac{-f(x_1)}{2})##. Let ##g \in B(f,\frac{-f(x_1)}{2})##. Then ##|f(x)-g(x)|≤sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)-g(x)|=d_∞(f(x),g(x))<\frac{-f(x_1)}{2}##. This means ##\frac{f(x_1)}{2}<f(x)-g(x)→0<\frac{f(x_1)}{2}-f(x)<-g(x)→0>f(x)-\frac{f(x_1)}{2}>g(x)##. This implies ##g \in U## for an arbitrary ##g \in B(f,\frac{f(x_1)}{2})→B(f,\frac{f(x_1)}{2}) \subset U##

I am stuck on the second part of the problem. If a function f is in the subspace U, then the connected component of f would be the union of all the connected subspaces in U that contain f. My doubt is: What are the connected components of a subspace (in this case, U)?. How could I try to find them?

You've already got the ingredients you need. Define ##U_{+}## to be the set of positive functions and ##U_{-}## to be the set of negative functions. You've proved both of those are open. So? BTW what definition of connectedness are you using?

Likes 1 person
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

[itex]U[/itex] can be written as a disjoint union of open sets, namely
[tex]U = \{ f \in U: f(x) > 0\} \cup \{f \in U : f(x) < 0\}[/tex]

It is possible to show that each of those subsets is path connected, and hence connected.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
You've already got the ingredients you need. Define ##U_{+}## to be the set of positive functions and ##U_{-}## to be the set of negative functions. You've proved both of those are open. So? BTW what definition of connectedness are you using?

If ##(X,d)## is a metric space and ##C \subset X##, then ##C## is connected if:
1) There aren't any ##U##,##V## non-empty, disjoint and open in ##C## such that ##C=U \cup V##
2) If ##A \subset C## is non-empty, open and closed in ##C##, then ##A=C##.

These are the two equivalent definitions I am using.

So, you've said that I should consider ##U_{+}## and ##U_{-}##. I've already proved they are open and it is easy to see that both are non-empty (##f(x)## constantly ##1## and ##h(x)## constantly ##-1## are in ##U_{+}## and ##U_{-}## respectively) and it's immediate to show that they are disjoint for if ##f \in U_{+} \cap U_{-}## then ##0<f(x)<0 \forall x \in [0,1]##, which is absurd. From here I can conclude that ##U## is not connected. I am pretty sure that ##U_{+}## and ##U_{-}## are the only connected components of ##U##, but I don't know how to prove it. In fact I am not sure of the formal definition of connected components of a subspace. I intuitively think that they are the "maximal" connected subsets of the space (in terms of inclusion). Is that the definition?

pasmith said:
[itex]U[/itex] can be written as a disjoint union of open sets, namely
[tex]U = \{ f \in U: f(x) > 0\} \cup \{f \in U : f(x) < 0\}[/tex]

It is possible to show that each of those subsets is path connected, and hence connected.

Ok, once I've proved that, should I prove that if ##A \subset U## is connected then ##A \subset U_{+}## or ##A \subset U_{-}##? (using Dick's notation)

mahler1 said:
If ##(X,d)## is a metric space and ##C \subset X##, then ##C## is connected if:
1) There aren't any ##U##,##V## non-empty, disjoint and open in ##C## such that ##C=U \cup V##
2) If ##A \subset C## is non-empty, open and closed in ##C##, then ##A=C##.

These are the two equivalent definitions I am using.

So, you've said that I should consider ##U_{+}## and ##U_{-}##. I've already proved they are open and it is easy to see that both are non-empty (##f(x)## constantly ##1## and ##h(x)## constantly ##-1## are in ##U_{+}## and ##U_{-}## respectively) and it's immediate to show that they are disjoint for if ##f \in U_{+} \cap U_{-}## then ##0<f(x)<0 \forall x \in [0,1]##, which is absurd. From here I can conclude that ##U## is not connected. I am pretty sure that ##U_{+}## and ##U_{-}## are the only connected components of ##U##, but I don't know how to prove it. In fact I am not sure of the formal definition of connected components of a subspace. I intuitively think that they are the "maximal" connected subsets of the space (in terms of inclusion). Is that the definition?

Right you are. Now you just need to show ##U_{+}## and ##U_{-}## are connected.

mahler1 said:
Ok, once I've proved that, should I prove that if ##A \subset U## is connected then ##A \subset U_{+}## or ##A \subset U_{-}##? (using Dick's notation)

One way is to show that they arcwise connected. If ##f_1## and ##f_2## are two functions in ##U_{+}##, then ##t f_1+(1-t) f_2## is in ##U_{+}## for t in [0,1], right? Suppose that there were two sets that disconnect ##U_{+}## but ##f_1## is in one and ##f_2## is in the other?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Dick said:
One way is to show that they arcwise connected. If ##f_1## and ##f_2## are two functions in ##U_{+}##, then ##t f_1+(1-t) f_2## is in ##U_{+}## for t in [0,1], right? Suppose that there were two sets that disconnect U but ##f_1## is in one and ##f_2## is in the other?

I've just proved that ##U_{+}## and ##U_{-}## are path connected by the same way you did.

Sorry, I don't know if this was what you were pointing me out but it is what I've came up with:

Suppose ##A \subset U## is connected and suppose ##A## is not totally included in ##U_{+}## or
##U_{-}##. We know that ##U_{+}## and ##U_{-}## disconnect ##U##, so ##A \subset U_{+} \cup U_{-}##. By the previous statements we have ##A \cap U_{+}≠∅## and ##A \cap U_{-}≠ ∅##. I define ##A_{+}=\{f \in A : f \in U_{+}\}## and ##A_{-}=\{h \in A : h \in U_{-}\}##. Then ##A_{+}## and ##A_{-}## disconnect ##A## which is absurd since ##A## is connected. It follows ##A \subset U_{+}## or ##A \subset U_{-}##. This proves ##U_{+}## and ##U_{-}## are the only connected components of ##U##.

Is this correct? Thanks for your help!

mahler1 said:
I've just proved that ##U_{+}## and ##U_{-}## are path connected by the same way you did.

Sorry, I don't know if this was what you were pointing me out but it is what I've came up with:

Suppose ##A \subset U## is connected and suppose ##A## is not totally included in ##U_{+}## or
##U_{-}##. We know that ##U_{+}## and ##U_{-}## disconnect ##U##, so ##A \subset U_{+} \cup U_{-}##. By the previous statements we have ##A \cap U_{+}≠∅## and ##A \cap U_{-}≠ ∅##. I define ##A_{+}=\{f \in A : f \in U_{+}\}## and ##A_{-}=\{h \in A : h \in U_{-}\}##. Then ##A_{+}## and ##A_{-}## disconnect ##A## which is absurd since ##A## is connected. It follows ##A \subset U_{+}## or ##A \subset U_{-}##. This proves ##U_{+}## and ##U_{-}## are the only connected components of ##U##.

Is this correct? Thanks for your help!

It's all fine up until "This proves ##U_{+}## and ##U_{-}## are the only connected components of ##U##". It doesn't prove that. Suppose ##U_{+}## could be split into two connected components? The point to what I was telling you is that if ##U_{+}## could be disconnected then the real interval [0,1] could be disconnected. And we know it can't. That's what the arcwise connected bit is about. Maybe there is a another way to do this, but this is the way I usually think about it.

Last edited:

Related to Connected components of a metric subspace

1. What are connected components of a metric subspace?

Connected components of a metric subspace refer to the maximal connected subsets of the subspace. This means that within a metric subspace, there are subsets that are connected, meaning that all points within the subset can be connected by a continuous path. The connected components are the largest possible such subsets within the metric subspace.

2. How are connected components of a metric subspace determined?

The connected components of a metric subspace can be determined by examining the topology of the subspace. This involves looking at the open sets within the subspace and determining which sets are connected. The connected components will be the largest sets that are connected, meaning that any two points within the set can be connected by a continuous path.

3. What is the significance of connected components in a metric subspace?

The connected components of a metric subspace are important in understanding the topology of the space. They help identify the different connected parts of the subspace and how they are related. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in the study of networks and systems.

4. Can a metric subspace have multiple connected components?

Yes, a metric subspace can have multiple connected components. In fact, it is common for metric subspaces to have multiple connected components, especially in complex or large spaces. Each connected component represents a distinct subset of the subspace that is connected and cannot be further divided into smaller connected subsets.

5. How do connected components of a metric subspace relate to the concept of path-connectedness?

Connected components and path-connectedness are closely related concepts. A metric subspace with a single connected component is also path-connected, meaning that any two points in the subspace can be connected by a continuous path. However, a subspace with multiple connected components may not be path-connected, as there may not be a continuous path between points in different connected components.