Conics/Rewriting Parabola into Standard Form

In summary, a conic is a curve formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone, and it can take the shape of a circle, ellipse, parabola, or hyperbola. The standard form of a parabola is <i>y = ax^2 + bx + c</i>, and it can be rewritten using the process of completing the square or the quadratic formula. The vertex form of a parabola is <i>y = a(x - h)^2 + k</i>, which allows for quick identification of the vertex and direction of opening. A parabola can open downwards if the coefficient <i>a</i> is negative in the standard form equation.
BigJon
25x^2-10x-200y-119=0

Should i divide both sides by 25 and then put y and constant to right side of equation and then complete the square?

Physics news on Phys.org
Be brave. Try it.

It worked lol :P

Related to Conics/Rewriting Parabola into Standard Form

What is a conic?

A conic is a curve formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone. It can be classified as a circle, ellipse, parabola, or hyperbola.

What is the standard form of a parabola?

The standard form of a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and a cannot be equal to 0.

How do I rewrite a parabola into standard form?

To rewrite a parabola into standard form, you can use the process of completing the square or the quadratic formula. First, make sure the equation is in the form y = ax^2 + bx + c. Then, complete the square by adding (b/2)^2 to both sides of the equation. Finally, factor the trinomial and simplify to get the equation in standard form.

What is the vertex form of a parabola?

The vertex form of a parabola is y = a(x - h)^2 + k, where a is the same as in standard form, and (h, k) represents the coordinates of the vertex. This form is useful for quickly identifying the vertex and direction of opening of the parabola.

Can a parabola open downwards?

Yes, a parabola can open downwards if the coefficient a is negative in the standard form equation. This means that the vertex will be the highest point on the parabola, and the graph will be a reflection of a parabola that opens upwards.