Conics Problem Part 2: Formulas and Solutions | Homework Statement

• Thread starter temaire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conics
The formula for b is b^2=c^2-a^2, where c is the distance from the center to the focii. In summary, the given problem deals with finding the correct value for b, using the formula b^2=c^2-a^2, in a vertical hyperbola with a given center and focii. The formula for b is derived from the distance formula for the hyperbola and is used to solve for the missing variable in the equation.
temaire

Homework Statement

This is the second page.
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/7519/arch2iq9.jpg​
[/URL]

Homework Equations

Formulas on picture above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'am just wondering if everything looks fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
part (i) is correct.
For part (ii), I don't think that's how you would solve for b. There's a formula to solve for b. [tex]b^2=c^2-a^2[/tex] where c is your focii and a is the distance from your center (0,30) to the vertex of the hyperbola. a=10, c=30, then b=?

Whoops, I realized that the problem is using a different form of the vertical hyperbola instead of [tex]\frac{(y-k)^2}{a^2}-\frac{(x-h)^2}{b^2}=1[/tex], so in this case I switched a and b around.

In this problem, where b=10(the distance from center to vertex of hyperbola) is correct.

Related to Conics Problem Part 2: Formulas and Solutions | Homework Statement

1. What are conic sections?

Conic sections are the curves formed when a plane intersects a cone at different angles. These curves include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

2. What is the difference between a circle and an ellipse?

A circle is a special case of an ellipse, where the distance from the center to any point on the curve is the same. An ellipse has two different radii, known as the major and minor axes, and the distance from the center to any point on the curve varies.

3. How do you find the equation of a conic section?

The equation of a conic section depends on its shape and the given information. For example, the general equation of a circle is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) is the center and r is the radius. The general equation of an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center, a is the length of the semi-major axis, and b is the length of the semi-minor axis.

4. How do you solve a conics problem?

To solve a conics problem, you need to determine the type of conic section and gather all relevant information, such as the coordinates of the center, the lengths of the axes, and any given points on the curve. Then, you can use the appropriate formulas and algebraic techniques to find the solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of conic sections?

Conic sections have various real-life applications, including designing satellite orbits, creating lenses for telescopes and cameras, and constructing architectural and engineering structures such as arches and bridges. They are also used in the study of planetary motion and projectile motion.