Conics Equation and Circle Problem: Solving for Unknown Variables

• Thread starter Hysteria X
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conics
In summary, the given equation represents a line and can be factored into the form ##(x^2-2x-3)(y-4)=0##. The common factor is ##x^2-2x-3##.
Hysteria X

Homework Statement

The equation ##x^2y^2-2xy^2-3y^2-4x^2y+8xy+12y=0## represents??

Homework Equations

circle: ##x^2 +y^2 = a^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

i know this has something to do with seperating out the variables but i don't seem to get the req equation

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hysteria X said:

Homework Statement

The equation ##x^2y^@-2xy-3y^2-4x^2y+8xy+12y=0## represents??

Homework Equations

circle: ##x^2 +y^2 = a^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

i know this has something to do with seperating out the variables but i don't seem to get the req equation

Show us what you've tried.

You want to try to factor it somehow. Why are there two xy terms in your expression? Check for typos.

Mark44 said:
Show us what you've tried.
i divided the whole term by y^2 and i separated the y and x terms on both sides of the equation then i think the next step would be to convert into factors but how am i supposed to do that why y would be in the denominator in rhs??

Dick said:
You want to try to factor it somehow. Why are there two xy terms in your expression? Check for typos.

sorry its ##xy^2##

Hysteria X said:
sorry its ##xy^2##

Ok, then start trying to factor it. You can pull a y out right away.

Dick said:
Ok, then start trying to factor it. You can pull a y out right away.

##x^2y^2−2xy^2−3y^2−4x^2y+8xy+12y=0##
##y^2(x^2-2x-3)-4y(x^2-2x-3)=0##
##y-4=0##
##y=4##? what conic is that? is it a straight line :confused:

Hysteria X said:
##y-4=0##

Yes, it's a line. It can happen. xy=1 is a hyperbola. xy=0 is two lines. That's a 'degenerate conic'. But actually since your equation is 4th degree, there's not necessarily any reason to expect it to be a conic. But y=4 isn't the whole story.

Last edited:
Hysteria X said:
You skipped some steps here. Write the equation above as a product instead of a difference. In the two terms above there is a common factor: x2 - 2x - 3.
Hysteria X said:
##y-4=0##

Related to Conics Equation and Circle Problem: Solving for Unknown Variables

1. What is a conic equation?

A conic equation is a mathematical representation of a conic section, which is a curve that can be formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone. The conic equation is typically in the form of Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy^2 + Dx + Ey + F = 0, where A, B, C, D, E, and F are constants and x and y are variables.

2. What are the different types of conic sections?

The four main types of conic sections are circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. Each type has its own unique characteristics and can be identified by the shape and orientation of the curve.

3. How do I solve a conic equation for unknown variables?

To solve a conic equation for unknown variables, you can use various methods such as completing the square, graphing, substitution, or elimination. The specific method you use will depend on the type of conic section and the given information.

4. What is the difference between a conic equation and a circle equation?

A circle equation is a type of conic equation that represents a circle, which is a special type of ellipse with equal radii. The difference between a general conic equation and a circle equation is that the circle equation has additional restrictions, such as A = C and B = 0.

5. Can a conic equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a conic equation can have multiple solutions, depending on the given constraints and the type of conic section. For example, an ellipse can have two solutions, a parabola can have one solution, and a hyperbola can have two or no solutions.