Congruences - Rotman - Proposition 1.58 - Second Question

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary: If $m=1$, then $r-r'=0$, so $r=r'.$ If $m=2$, then $r-r'=1$, so $r=r'.$ If $m=3$, then $r-r'=2$, so $r=r'.$ ....
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Joseph J.Rotman's book, A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Section 1.5 Congruences.

I need help with the proof of Proposition 1.58 part (iii) ...

Proposition 1.58 reads as follows:View attachment 4523
View attachment 4524

In the above text we read the following:" ... ... Therefore, if \(\displaystyle a \equiv b \text{ mod } m\), then \(\displaystyle a - b = 0 \text{ mod } m\), hence\(\displaystyle r - r' \equiv 0 \text{ mod } m\), hence \(\displaystyle r - r' \equiv 0 \text{ mod } m\), and \(\displaystyle r \equiv r' \text{ mod } m\); by part (ii), \(\displaystyle r = r'\). ... ... "

My question is ... how exactly does it follow from part (ii) of Proposition 1.58 that \(\displaystyle r = r'\) ...Note: I suspect Rotman is asking us to use the contrapositive of (ii) ... in other words the negative of \(\displaystyle r \nequiv r' \text{ mod m }\) ( which is presumably \(\displaystyle r \equiv r'\) ) implies the negative of \(\displaystyle 0 \le r' \lt r \lt m\) ... but what exactly is the negative of \(\displaystyle 0 \le r' \lt r \lt m\)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Joseph J.Rotman's book, A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Section 1.5 Congruences.

I need help with the proof of Proposition 1.58 part (iii) ...

Proposition 1.58 reads as follows:In the above text we read the following:" ... ... Therefore, if \(\displaystyle a \equiv b \text{ mod } m\), then \(\displaystyle a - b = 0 \text{ mod } m\), hence\(\displaystyle r - r' \equiv 0 \text{ mod } m\), hence \(\displaystyle r - r' \equiv 0 \text{ mod } m\), and \(\displaystyle r \equiv r' \text{ mod } m\); by part (ii), \(\displaystyle r = r'\). ... ... "

My question is ... how exactly does it follow from part (ii) of Proposition 1.58 that \(\displaystyle r = r'\) ...Note: I suspect Rotman is asking us to use the contrapositive of (ii) ... in other words the negative of \(\displaystyle r \nequiv r' \text{ mod m }\) ( which is presumably \(\displaystyle r \equiv r'\) ) implies the negative of \(\displaystyle 0 \le r' \lt r \lt m\) ... but what exactly is the negative of \(\displaystyle 0 \le r' \lt r \lt m\)?
Since both $r$ and $r'$ are non-negative integers which are strictly less than $m$, we can have $m|(r-r')$ only if $r=r'$.Try this with small values of $m$.

Related to Congruences - Rotman - Proposition 1.58 - Second Question

1. What is a congruence in mathematics?

A congruence in mathematics is a relation between two numbers that have the same remainder when divided by a given number. In other words, if two numbers have the same remainder when divided by a certain number, they are said to be congruent.

2. What is Proposition 1.58 in Rotman's book?

Proposition 1.58 in Rotman's book is a theorem that states if two numbers are congruent, then their squares are also congruent. This is a useful property in modular arithmetic and can be proven using the definition of congruence.

3. How do you use Proposition 1.58 in solving mathematical problems?

Proposition 1.58 can be used in a variety of mathematical problems involving congruences. For example, it can be used to simplify equations involving congruences or to prove other theorems related to congruences. It is an important tool in modular arithmetic and can help in solving problems involving remainders and divisibility.

4. What is the second question in Proposition 1.58 in Rotman's book?

The second question in Proposition 1.58 is asking whether the square of a number is congruent to the square of another number if the two numbers are congruent. The answer to this question is yes, as stated in the theorem.

5. Can Proposition 1.58 be applied to numbers that are not integers?

Proposition 1.58 can only be applied to integers, as it is a property of congruences in modular arithmetic. It does not hold for other types of numbers such as fractions or decimals. However, there are similar properties for congruences in other number systems such as rational or real numbers.