Confusion regarding electrical power

In summary, the equations P=(V^2)/R and P= (I^2)R suggest that as resistance increases, electrical power decreases. However, the actual relationship between power, voltage, and current is P = V * I, with resistance acting as a passive element that relates the two.
nokia8650
From P=(V^2)/R, it suggests that as you increase the resistance, you decrease the electrical power.

Conversely, from P= (I^2)R, it suggests taht if you increase the resistance, you increase the electrical power.

Please can someone explain the above.

Thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
nokia8650 said:
From P=(V^2)/R, it suggests that as you increase the resistance, you decrease the electrical power.

Conversely, from P= (I^2)R, it suggests taht if you increase the resistance, you increase the electrical power.

Please can someone explain the above.

Thanks alot

Both of the presumptions are based on holding either V or I constant in determining power.

The real relationship is P = V * I.

R is a passive element that relates V and I.

It is understandable that there may be confusion regarding electrical power when looking at these two equations. However, the key factor to note is that the two equations are describing different scenarios.

The first equation, P=(V^2)/R, is known as Ohm's Law and describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a simple circuit. In this equation, we can see that as resistance increases, the power decreases. This is because as resistance increases, there is less current flowing through the circuit, resulting in less power being transferred.

On the other hand, the second equation, P=(I^2)R, is known as Joule's Law and describes the relationship between current, resistance, and power in a circuit that has a fixed resistance. In this equation, we can see that as resistance increases, the power also increases. This is because as resistance increases, the current must also increase in order to maintain the same amount of power being transferred.

In summary, the two equations are describing different scenarios and should not be directly compared. Ohm's Law is applicable in simple circuits where the resistance can be varied, while Joule's Law is applicable in circuits with a fixed resistance. It is important to understand the context and conditions under which these equations are being used in order to properly interpret their results.

Related to Confusion regarding electrical power

1. What is the difference between voltage, current, and power?

Voltage is the measure of the electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit. Current is the flow of electric charge through a circuit. Power is the rate at which electrical energy is converted into other forms, such as mechanical, heat, or light energy.

2. How is power related to voltage and current?

The relationship between power, voltage, and current is described by the formula P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. This means that power is directly proportional to both voltage and current.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC power?

AC (alternating current) power is the type of electricity that is commonly used to power homes and businesses. It constantly changes direction and magnitude, whereas DC (direct current) power flows in only one direction and is commonly used in electronic devices such as batteries.

4. What causes power loss in electrical systems?

Power loss in electrical systems can be caused by a variety of factors, including resistance in wires, inefficient components, and power leaks due to poor insulation. These losses are known as "power dissipation" and can result in heat, light, or noise.

5. How can I reduce my electricity bill?

There are several ways to reduce your electricity bill, such as using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and properly insulating your home. Additionally, you can consider using renewable energy sources such as solar or wind power to generate your own electricity.