Confusion over Windows backup files

In summary: If you have the bootable cd/dvd, you can restore the system to the state it was in on the given date by inserting it into the computer, turning it on, and selecting the appropriate language and edition of Windows.
nomadreid
Gold Member
As my computer kept urging me to back up my system onto an external hard drive, I decided I would buy one, but first I needed to find out which size to buy; so I backed up the system on the computer itself to find out how much space it takes up. This created two files (one, WindowsImage, and another one which shows an icon of a disc.) However, when I click on the icons and then on "Properties", it tells me that there are 0 bytes in the file: which is of course nonsense, since the file ("New Volume (F:)") into which I stored them shows over 60 GB being taken up. So, two questions: why the "0"s? And will it damage anything if I delete these two files?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's not at all clear what you mean by "backed up the system". Do you mean that you created you Windows Recovery Disks on the hard drive? If so, that's a terrible idea since the point of those backups is in case the hard drive fails and you have to reinstall the O.S.

Do you mean you backed up all the files on the C drive? What DO you mean?

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, phinds. Yes, I know it would be a terrible idea to back it up this way: as I said, the point was not for the back-up, but just to see how much space such a back-up (yes, Windows Recovery Disks, on the C drive) would take up, so as to know what size external hard drive I will need. I had in mind that I could then delete the bogus-back-up files after finding this out. Anyway, we can agree that it was a stupid idea. Given that, let's move on to answering the original question. Why do they show 0 bytes? More importantly, can I now go ahead and delete them (and defragment the disk afterwards)?

I see no reason why you can't delete them, but you probably now won't be able to create a DVD version since the installed O.S. only allows for one such creation and you've used your up by doing what you did.

Likes nomadreid
Oops. Oh, blimey. :H(Stronger language is prohibited here, I believe.) Um, could I just somehow simply copy the folders now on my C drive? I would guess that the "0 Kb" readings are telling me that I can't... Any idea?

nomadreid said:
Oops. Oh, blimey. :H(Stronger language is prohibited here, I believe.) Um, could I just somehow simply copy the folders now on my C drive? I would guess that the "0 Kb" readings are telling me that I can't... Any idea?
No, the recovery disks are bootable disks and cannot be created by copying files. If your computer crashes and you need to restore the O.S. you can take it to Staples and they will do it for you for $70 using their OEM recovery disks. Do NOT go to Best Buy and let the "Geek Squad" do it. Those guys could screw up a ball bearing.

Likes nomadreid
No danger of the one, or possibility of the other: I am not in the same country as Staples or Best Buy.

nomadreid said:
No danger of the one, or possibility of the other: I am not in the same country as Staples or Best Buy.
Bummer. Do you have some similar facility available in case you need it? On the other hand, if you know a friend who cut recovery disks from the same version of the O.S. you can likely use them.

You can USE the backup disks more than once, you just can't create them more than once. Also, I seem to recall that they can't be copied successfully although I'm not 100% sure on that.

Most of the computer techies in my neck of the woods are amateurs. :( So I try to solve as many software problems on my own, despite the fact that I am, although not completely computer illiterate, not too far from it. I am wondering: as I recall, there is a function to put your computer back to the state it was at a given date. I forget what it is called, and there is no assurance that the necessary data is in place, but perhaps you can at least remind me of the term, and also whether you think that it would renew the chance to back up the system. Thanks.

So say you buy an external drive, perform an image backup of your C: partition onto the external drive. Your version of Windows may include a bootable cd/dvd for re-installation / repair. Some oem versions have a hidden partition on the hard drive to perform similar operations, but that doesn't help if the hard drive goes bad. So assuming you've done an image backup to an external hard drive, and you have the bootable cd/dvd, then if the internal hard drive failed, you could replace it, boot up from the cd/dvd, chose the repair option, and then do an image restore onto the new hard drive.

A folder / file backup could also work, but there could be issues if the recovery path involves a re-install, since user id keys will be diffferent, possibly preventing you from accessing the folders / files you backed up. With an image backup / restore, this shouldn't be an issue.

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid said:
Most of the computer techies in my neck of the woods are amateurs. :( So I try to solve as many software problems on my own, despite the fact that I am, although not completely computer illiterate, not too far from it. I am wondering: as I recall, there is a function to put your computer back to the state it was at a given date. I forget what it is called, and there is no assurance that the necessary data is in place, but perhaps you can at least remind me of the term, and also whether you think that it would renew the chance to back up the system. Thanks.
I know exactly what you are talking about (I also can't remember the name) but it is useless for what you are looking for; it is designed to recover from a single (or even multiple) software application installations that have caused problems. It won't get rid of a nasty virus, for example, that requires you to reinstall the whole O.S.

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid said:
System Restore?

Likes nomadreid
StevieTNZ said:
System Restore?
Yes. That's the name he was looking for. Thanks for the reminder. The "points" where you set it are called "restore points". I have found the facility to be utterly useless but some people seem to think it is worthwhile.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks for the additional answers, phinds, StevieTNZ and rcgldr, including the term "System Restore". But one oddity: phinds said that Windows only gave me one chance at a back-up. However, this seems not to be the case: I could indeed back everything up onto an external hard drive, despite having backed it up uselessly once before.

nomadreid said:
Thanks for the additional answers, phinds, StevieTNZ and rcgldr, including the term "System Restore". But one oddity: phinds said that Windows only gave me one chance at a back-up. However, this seems not to be the case: I could indeed back everything up onto an external hard drive, despite having backed it up uselessly once before.
When you say "backed up" do you mean creating the windows restore disks so that you can exactly recreate the "factory-fresh" windows installation? If so, that's great.

Related to Confusion over Windows backup files

1. What are Windows backup files?

Windows backup files are copies of important data, such as documents, photos, and settings, that are stored on an external storage device or in the cloud. These files allow users to restore their data in case of a system failure or data loss.

2. How do I create a Windows backup file?

To create a Windows backup file, go to the Control Panel and open the Backup and Restore utility. Click on "Set up backup" and select the files and folders you want to include in the backup. Choose a storage location and follow the prompts to complete the backup process.

3. Can I access my Windows backup files on another computer?

Yes, you can access your Windows backup files on another computer as long as you have the backup file and the appropriate software to restore it. You may need to transfer the backup file to the other computer using a USB drive or through the cloud.

4. How do I restore my Windows backup files?

To restore your Windows backup files, go to the Control Panel and open the Backup and Restore utility. Click on "Restore my files" and select the backup file you want to restore. Follow the prompts to complete the restoration process.

5. Can I schedule automatic backups for my Windows backup files?

Yes, you can schedule automatic backups for your Windows backup files by going to the Control Panel and opening the Backup and Restore utility. Click on "Change settings" and select the frequency and time for your automatic backups. You can also choose to receive notifications when the backups are completed.