Need a free backup program for Windows

In summary, the conversation is about finding a free and simple program for differential backups on a Windows laptop. The user mentions previously using "Karen's Replicator" but is unsure if it's still up to date. They also mention FreeFileSync and ask for suggestions. Another person suggests using Macrium Reflect Free and mentions it can only do differential and full backups. The topic of using robocopy is brought up, but the user wants to avoid command-line methods.
Doc Al
Mentor
I'm looking for a free (and simple to use!) program to do differential backups of my files on my Windows laptop. I don't want anything encrypted, just something that can compare files to the backup and add/subtract whatever's been changed.

Years ago, I used "Karen's Replicator". Not sure if that's been kept up to date (after Karen's death). I see something called FreeFileSync, but know nothing about it.

Suggestions?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've been using Macrium Reflect Free (free version) for a while and so far, so good. The free version can only do differential (and of course full) and not incremental backups.

Is robocopy good enough?

Vanadium 50 said:
Is robocopy good enough?
I want to avoid command-line backup methods. (I'm lazy!)

Well, you can schedule the task. Then there is no user interface, graphical or otherwise.

1. What is a backup program?

A backup program is a software tool that allows users to make copies of their important files and data in case of accidental deletion, damage, or loss. These copies, known as backups, can be retrieved and restored in the event of a computer crash or other data loss situations.

2. Why do I need a backup program for Windows?

A backup program is essential for Windows users because it helps protect important files and data from loss or damage. Windows operating systems are vulnerable to various risks such as viruses, hardware failures, and human error, making it necessary to have a backup program in place.

3. Are there any free backup programs available for Windows?

Yes, there are several free backup programs available for Windows users, such as EaseUS Todo Backup Free, AOMEI Backupper Standard, and Cobian Backup. These programs offer basic backup features and are suitable for personal use.

4. How do I choose the right backup program for my needs?

When choosing a backup program, consider your specific needs, such as the amount of data you need to back up, the frequency of backups, and the type of storage you prefer. Also, make sure to read reviews and compare features to find the best fit for your requirements.

5. Is it necessary to back up my data regularly?

Yes, it is important to back up your data regularly. This ensures that your most recent files and updates are included in the backup and that you have the most up-to-date version available in case of loss or damage. It is recommended to set up automatic backups or schedule regular backups to ensure your data is always protected.