Confusion on a diagram in a scientific journal

In summary, the conversation is about the confusion and difficulty in understanding the physics concepts related to solar panels discussed in a scientific journal. The equations and chart in the journal are specifically focused on comparing the energy of photons and the angle of sunlight on the solar panel, as well as the resulting electrical output. The conversation also touches on the effect of sun angle on climate and the relationship between the angle of incident solar rays and the direction normal to the solar panel's surface. The "installation angle" mentioned in the article refers to the angle between zenith and the direction perpendicular to the panel's surface.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

I am not sure if this goes here but I am doing research on solar panels and am confused on some of the physics in a particular scientific journal I am reading. More specifically I am having trouble with the equations on the last part of page 1 and the entire second page. I understand that they are comparing the energy of the photons and the angle of sunlight on the solar panel but I still don't know how to actually work with equations to solve for the electrical output. Also, the chart on page two is very confusing and doesn't have a very good explanation. A good explanation of these physics concepts would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Light angle.pdf
    535.6 KB · Views: 291
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if I can spare the time at the moment to go through the second page, but the equations at the bottom of the first one are describing this effect:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Oblique_rays_04_Pengo.svg

That is, the more angled the surface of incidence is, the more spread out the energy.

This wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_sun_angle_on_climate
is where the image is from. It's got a concise explanation as well.

So, using the equation (5), you can take the angle between the suface normal to solar rays and the surface of the Earth(which happens to be equal to the longitude - try using the equation for one of the poles and the equator to see the extreme cases), and the cosine of that angle will net you the fraction of the solar flux that will hit the area.
E.g., for 45 degrees, you get about 0.7(i.e., 70%) of the solar flux - 0.7*1400W/m^2=980 W/m^2.
That's how much energy hits a square metre at that lattitude.

Bandersnatch said:
I'm not sure if I can spare the time at the moment to go through the second page, but the equations at the bottom of the first one are describing this effect:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Oblique_rays_04_Pengo.svg

That is, the more angled the surface of incidence is, the more spread out the energy.

This wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_sun_angle_on_climate
is where the image is from. It's got a concise explanation as well.

So, using the equation (5), you can take the angle between the suface normal to solar rays and the surface of the Earth(which happens to be equal to the longitude - try using the equation for one of the poles and the equator to see the extreme cases), and the cosine of that angle will net you the fraction of the solar flux that will hit the area.
E.g., for 45 degrees, you get about 0.7(i.e., 70%) of the solar flux - 0.7*1400W/m^2=980 W/m^2.
That's how much energy hits a square metre at that lattitude.

OK so is this article talking about the angle of light hitting the Earth and the max amount of energy the solar panel could theoretically obtain or the angle in which the solar panel is facing the light and how much power it would be producing from the light?

The paper talks about panels, but the principle that reduces incident energy is the same as with Earth surface.

If you manage to keep the panel facing the sun at all times, it'll always catch the full solar flux.

But the Sun is not stationary in the sky, so the angle of incident solar rays will continuously change in the absence of a tracking system, both during a day and over a year.

As the Sun travels in the sky, the angle between it's rays and the direction normal to the static solar panel's surface acts as the angle θ in fig.2. The angle is described as X in fig.3.
Once you've got X, you can tell how much solar energy is hitting the panel at a given moment.

Fig.3 describes how to get X from the instantenous position of the Sun in the sky(θe = sun elevation, and θψ = azimuth measured from the direction to the South) and the angle of elevation of the panel(θb = the angle between the surface and the direction perpendicular to the panel).

The "installation angle" later in the article is the angle between zenith and the direction perpendicular to panel's surface.

Bandersnatch said:
The paper talks about panels, but the principle that reduces incident energy is the same as with Earth surface.

If you manage to keep the panel facing the sun at all times, it'll always catch the full solar flux.

But the Sun is not stationary in the sky, so the angle of incident solar rays will continuously change in the absence of a tracking system, both during a day and over a year.

As the Sun travels in the sky, the angle between it's rays and the direction normal to the static solar panel's surface acts as the angle θ in fig.2. The angle is described as X in fig.3.
Once you've got X, you can tell how much solar energy is hitting the panel at a given moment.

Fig.3 describes how to get X from the instantenous position of the Sun in the sky(θe = sun elevation, and θψ = azimuth measured from the direction to the South) and the angle of elevation of the panel(θb = the angle between the surface and the direction perpendicular to the panel).

The "installation angle" later in the article is the angle between zenith and the direction perpendicular to panel's surface.

So in figure 1 is that referring to the angle of the solar panel? Also, in the equations is A1 a unit of length? What is the photon density of a surface?

Attachments

• solar stuff.jpg
    solar stuff.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:

Related to Confusion on a diagram in a scientific journal

What is a diagram in a scientific journal?

A diagram in a scientific journal is a visual representation of data or information that is used to support a scientific concept or idea. It can take many forms, such as graphs, charts, or illustrations, and is often used to help explain complex ideas or relationships.

Why is there confusion on a diagram in a scientific journal?

Confusion on a diagram in a scientific journal can arise for a variety of reasons. It could be due to a lack of clarity in the diagram itself, incorrect labeling or data, or a misunderstanding of the scientific concept being presented. It is important for scientists to carefully review and clarify any confusing diagrams in their work to ensure accurate understanding by readers.

How can confusion on a diagram in a scientific journal be avoided?

To avoid confusion on a diagram in a scientific journal, it is important for scientists to carefully design and label their diagrams with clear and accurate information. Additionally, providing detailed explanations and context for the diagram can help readers better understand its purpose and meaning.

What should I do if I encounter confusion on a diagram in a scientific journal?

If you encounter confusion on a diagram in a scientific journal, the first step is to carefully examine the diagram and its accompanying text to see if there are any errors or inconsistencies. If you are still unclear, you can reach out to the author or consult other sources to gain a better understanding of the diagram and its purpose.

Are diagrams necessary in scientific journals?

While diagrams are not always necessary in scientific journals, they can greatly enhance the understanding and clarity of complex concepts and data. They provide a visual representation that can help readers better grasp the information being presented. However, it is important for scientists to use diagrams appropriately and ensure they are accurate and clear.