Confusion about Essential Singularity in 1/(1-z)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of poles and essential singularities in complex analysis. It explains that a pole of order k is a singularity of a function that satisfies the definition of a pole. The conversation also mentions that if z_0 is a pole of order k, the singular part of the Laurent series of f(z) has finitely many terms, but this statement is not entirely accurate and the conditions for its validity are not specified. The example of f(z)=\frac{1}{1-z} is used to illustrate how the expansion of the Laurent series depends on the domain of convergence. It is clarified that z=1 is not an essential singularity, but rather a simple pole, and the Laurent series is
CantorSet
Hi everyone,

I'm brushing up on some complex analysis and I came across the following example, which is driving me crazy:

I learned that [tex]z_0[/tex] is a pole of order k of [tex]f(z)[/tex] if

[tex]f(z)=\frac{g(z)}{(z-z_0)^k}[/tex]

where [tex]g(z)[/tex] is analytic on some open disk around [tex]z_0[/tex].

And an essential singularity is an isolated singularity that is not a pole of any order.

Then I learned that if [tex]z_0[/tex] is a pole of order k , the singular part of the Laurent series of [tex]f(z)[/tex] has finitely many terms. If its an essential singularity, the singular part of the Laurent series has infinitely many terms.

Then the book gives this example:

[tex]f(z)=\frac{1}{1-z}[/tex]

And right off the bat, I'm thinking 1 is a pole of order 1, since it's already in the form of the definition of a pole of order k. But when they expanded the Laurent series for this in the annulus [tex]1 < \left|z\right| < \infty [/tex] they get

[tex] \frac{1}{(1-z)} = -\frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{z^2}-\frac{1}{z^3} - ... [/tex]

So that [tex]z = 1 [/tex] is actually an essential singularity. But doesn't this contradict with the fact that it's already in the form [tex] \frac{1}{(1-z)}[/tex] which means its a pole?

Physics news on Phys.org
CantorSet said:
Hi everyone,
[tex] \frac{1}{(1-z)} = -\frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{z^2}-\frac{1}{z^3} - ... [/tex]

So that [tex]z = 1 [/tex] is actually an essential singularity. But doesn't this contradict with the fact that it's already in the form [tex] \frac{1}{(1-z)}[/tex] which means its a pole?

The expansion you had entered is around [itex]z = \infty[/itex], not [itex]z = 1[/itex] and it is a Taylor series with respect to [itex]1/z[/itex], so the point at infinity is actually regular.

Dickfore said:
The expansion you had entered is around [itex]z = \infty[/itex], not [itex]z = 1[/itex] and it is a Taylor series with respect to [itex]1/z[/itex], so the point at infinity is actually regular.

I see that the series is centered around zero, but how is it centered around infinity? Also, what do you mean by "regular"?

I guess I'll summarize my question to this:

Why is [itex] z = 1 [/itex] an essential singularity of

[tex]\frac{1}{1-z}[/tex]

when it can be expressed in the form of a pole:

[tex] f(z)=\frac{g(z)}{(z-z_0)^k} [/tex]

CantorSet said:
Why is [itex] z = 1 [/itex] an essential singularity of

[tex]\frac{1}{1-z}[/tex]
It's not.

CantorSet said:
Then I learned that if [tex]z_0[/tex] is a pole of order k , the singular part of the Laurent series of [tex]f(z)[/tex] has finitely many terms.
That's not true. The theorem you're trying to think of requires something about the domain of convergence of the series...

Hurkyl said:
It's not.

That's not true. The theorem you're trying to think of requires something about the domain of convergence of the series...

Thanks, Hurkyl.

I'm citing all of this from Princeton Review's "Cracking the Math Subject GRE" where they try to summarize all of complex analysis in 5 pages, so they're definitely sweeping a lot of stuff under the rug. They were also wrong in stating that [itex] z = 1 [/itex] is an essential singularity of

[tex]\frac{1}{1-z}[/tex]

But you also say they are wrong in stating the if a singularity is a pole of order k, then the singular part of its Laurent Series has only finitely many terms, namely it stops after [tex]a_{-k}[/tex]?

But is it wrong because I did not specify the exact conditions for when the statement is true? Or is it totally wrong?

CantorSet said:
But is it wrong because I did not specify the exact conditions for when the statement is true? Or is it totally wrong?
Because you did not state the conditions.

CantorSet said:
I see that the series is centered around zero, but how is it centered around infinity?
Does [itex]z = 0[/itex] belong to the domain [itex]|z| > 1[/itex] where the stated expansion holds? How about [itex]z = \infty[/itex]?

CantorSet said:
Also, what do you mean by "regular"?

How do you examine the behavior of a function in the neighborhood around [itex]z = \infty[/itex]? A regular point is a point at which the funcion is analytic.

CantorSet said:
Thanks, Hurkyl.

I'm citing all of this from Princeton Review's "Cracking the Math Subject GRE" where they try to summarize all of complex analysis in 5 pages, so they're definitely sweeping a lot of stuff under the rug. They were also wrong in stating that [itex] z = 1 [/itex] is an essential singularity of

[tex]\frac{1}{1-z}[/tex]

But you also say they are wrong in stating the if a singularity is a pole of order k, then the singular part of its Laurent Series has only finitely many terms, namely it stops after [tex]a_{-k}[/tex]?

I'm reviving this thread from the dead, because I'm just going through the same book and was confused for a couple of minutes myself, as well. But the book doesn't actually state that this is an essential singularity. In fact, what they do is show that the function [itex]\frac{1}{1-z}[/itex] can be written as a Laurent series [itex] \frac{1}{(1-z)} = -\frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{z^2}-\frac{1}{z^3} - ... [/itex], for - and this is the important part! - [itex]|z| > 1[/itex]. This expansion was obtained by them explicitly noting in the first place that if [itex]|z| > 1[/itex], then [itex]\frac{1}{|z|} < 1[/itex], implying that this series has nothing to do with the function for [itex]|z| \leq 1[/itex], which is where the singularity in question lies. The latter is absolutely a simple pole, however, and the Laurent series is just a tool that allows you to "Taylor serialize" the series where you otherwise couldn't.

Maybe someone else reading this post will find this addition useful, but if not, that's fine, as well :smile: Just thought I'd try to clear up the confusion and note that the authors of the book never stated this was an essential singularity (they actually never stated it's a pole, either, they just say this function has a singularity at z = 1).

Ryker said:
I'm reviving this thread from the dead, because I'm just going through the same book and was confused for a couple of minutes myself, as well. But the book doesn't actually state that this is an essential singularity. In fact, what they do is show that the function [itex]\frac{1}{1-z}[/itex] can be written as a Laurent series [itex] \frac{1}{(1-z)} = -\frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{z^2}-\frac{1}{z^3} - ... [/itex], for - and this is the important part! - [itex]|z| > 1[/itex]. This expansion was obtained by them explicitly noting in the first place that if [itex]|z| > 1[/itex], then [itex]\frac{1}{|z|} < 1[/itex], implying that this series has nothing to do with the function for [itex]|z| \leq 1[/itex], which is where the singularity in question lies. The latter is absolutely a simple pole, however, and the Laurent series is just a tool that allows you to "Taylor serialize" the series where you otherwise couldn't.

Maybe someone else reading this post will find this addition useful, but if not, that's fine, as well :smile: Just thought I'd try to clear up the confusion and note that the authors of the book never stated this was an essential singularity (they actually never stated it's a pole, either, they just say this function has a singularity at z = 1).

The book says explicitly on page 313: "Since there are infinitely many terms in the Laurent series, z=1 is an essential singularity." The book is wrong.

bfisch said:
The book says explicitly on page 313: "Since there are infinitely many terms in the Laurent series, z=1 is an essential singularity." The book is wrong.
Well, I don't have the book anymore, so I can't check, but I don't recall them saying that explicitly in regards to this particular problem. So yeah, I can't really argue much further.

Related to Confusion about Essential Singularity in 1/(1-z)

1. What is an essential singularity in the context of 1/(1-z)?

An essential singularity is a type of singularity in complex analysis where a function has an infinite number of complex values near a specific point. In the case of 1/(1-z), the essential singularity occurs at z = 1, where the function is undefined and has an infinite number of complex values nearby.

2. Why is there confusion about the essential singularity in 1/(1-z)?

There is confusion about the essential singularity in 1/(1-z) because the function is undefined at z = 1, which can be misleading. Some may assume that the function has a simple pole at this point, but in reality, it has an infinite number of complex values nearby, making it an essential singularity.

3. How does the essential singularity in 1/(1-z) differ from a simple pole?

The essential singularity in 1/(1-z) differs from a simple pole in that a simple pole has a finite number of complex values near the singular point, while an essential singularity has an infinite number of complex values nearby. Additionally, a simple pole can be removed by taking a limit, while an essential singularity cannot be removed.

4. Can the essential singularity in 1/(1-z) be approached from any direction?

Yes, the essential singularity in 1/(1-z) can be approached from any direction, as there are an infinite number of complex values nearby. This is in contrast to a simple pole, which can only be approached from certain directions.

5. How does the concept of the essential singularity in 1/(1-z) relate to other areas of mathematics?

The concept of the essential singularity in 1/(1-z) is important in complex analysis, as it allows for the classification of different types of singularities. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory, where it is used to study the distribution of prime numbers.