Confusing linear algebra problem

In summary, the conversation discusses subspaces and bases of a finite dimensional vector space. The problem at hand is to prove that the intersection of a subspace and an extension of its basis is equal to {0}. Additionally, it is stated that the direct sum of two subspaces is equal to the entire vector space if the sum of the dimensions of the two subspaces is equal to the dimension of the vector space. The conversation also includes a proposed solution for the second part but asks for clarification.
AkilMAI

Homework Statement

Let U1 and U2 be two subspaces of a finite dimensional vector space V , let {u_1,u_2...,u_m} be a basis of U1 /\U2(where /\ means intersection) and let {u_1,u_2...,u_m, v_1,v_2...,v_k} be an extension to a basis of U1 . Let W = span{v_1,v_2...,v_k}. I need to prove that that W /\U2 = {0}
and that, if U1 + U2 = V , then W # U2 = V,where W#U2 is the direct sum of W and U2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I proved that W /\U2 = {0} with some help but I need help with the second part...but I'm more interested in an explanation as I find this problem...confusing

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

By the dimension theorem dim(W # U2)=dim W+dim U2+ dim(W /\U2)...since W /\U2=0 dim(W /\U2)=0 and since W+U2=V =>dimW+dimU2=V=>W # U2 = V,is this correct?

Related to Confusing linear algebra problem

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vectors, matrices, and systems of equations. It is used to solve problems in many scientific and engineering fields, including computer graphics, economics, and physics.

Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it provides a powerful framework for solving complex problems in mathematics, science, and engineering. It also has many practical applications, such as data analysis, machine learning, and computer graphics.

What are the main concepts in linear algebra?

The main concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and vector spaces. These concepts are used to solve problems involving linear transformations and equations.

What makes a linear algebra problem confusing?

A linear algebra problem can be confusing if it involves complex calculations, multiple variables, or difficult concepts. It may also be confusing if the problem is not clearly defined or if the steps to solve it are not well-explained.

How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra, it is important to practice solving problems and working with different concepts. You can also read textbooks or watch online lectures to gain a deeper understanding of the subject. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.