Confusing Limit Problem: Solving lim[x→-2¯(from the left)] x+2/sqrt(x^2-4)

In summary: As x approaches -2 from the left, the denominator approaches 0 from the left. Therefore, the limit is undefined. Some may argue that the limit is 0 because the leftbound limit approaches 0 graphically, but this is not a valid mathematical argument. The limit is still undefined.
collinito

Homework Statement

lim[x→-2¯(from the left)] x+2/sqrt(x^2-4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I attempted this question I felt that the solution was that this is undefined and when i put it into my ti-89 it said that too. My friend argues that it's actually zero as that's what the leftbound limit approaches graphically. I am curious now to know the answer to this one

Physics news on Phys.org
collinito said:

Homework Statement

lim[x→-2¯(from the left)] x+2/sqrt(x^2-4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I attempted this question I felt that the solution was that this is undefined and when i put it into my ti-89 it said that too. My friend argues that it's actually zero as that's what the leftbound limit approaches graphically. I am curious now to know the answer to this one

Welcome to the PF. Can you use this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'hospital's_rule

l'hopitals doesn't work, I already tried it, you still get a zero on the bottom.

collinito said:
l'hopitals doesn't work, I already tried it, you still get a zero on the bottom.

Maybe you do, but I don't. Can you show us your work using L'Hopital's rule?

x^2-4 = (x-2)(x+2)

Related to Confusing Limit Problem: Solving lim[x→-2¯(from the left)] x+2/sqrt(x^2-4)

1. What is the value of the limit for the given function at x=-2?

The limit for the given function at x=-2 is undefined or does not exist, since the value of the denominator becomes 0 at this point, making the entire expression undefined.

2. Can the limit be solved by direct substitution?

No, the limit cannot be solved by direct substitution since plugging in x=-2 would result in dividing by 0, which is an undefined operation.

3. How can the limit be evaluated?

The limit can be evaluated by simplifying the expression using algebraic manipulations. In this case, we can factor the denominator to (x+2)(x-2), and cancel out the common factor of (x+2) from the numerator and denominator. This leaves us with the limit of x-2 as x approaches -2 from the left.

4. What is the significance of approaching from the left in this limit problem?

Approaching from the left in this limit problem means that we are considering values of x that are slightly smaller than -2, such as -2.0001 or -2.5. This is important because the behavior of the function may be different on the left and right sides of x=-2, and approaching from the left allows us to examine the limit as x approaches -2 from that specific direction.

5. Can this limit be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be used to solve this limit problem. By taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately, we can rewrite the limit as lim[x→-2¯(from the left)] 1/sqrt(x^2-4). Then, we can plug in x=-2 and evaluate the limit to be -1/2.