Confusing integral in Zee's QFT

In summary, the conversation discusses the jump from an integral involving W(J) and \omega^2 to an integral involving W(J) and \delta functions. The speaker is confused about how the delta function disappears and how the expressions for k^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon and \vec{k}^2 + m^2 are related. The expert summarizer explains that the delta function results from integrating over y0 first, and the expressions are related by setting k0 equal to zero.
waht
This is probably really simple. In chapter I.4 the jump from (4) -> (5) is sort of eluding

[tex] W(J) = - \iint dx^0 dy^0 \int \frac{dk^0}{2\pi} e^{i k^0(x - y)^0} \int \frac{d^3k}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{e^{i \vec{k}(\vec{x_1} - \vec{x_2})}} {k^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon} [/tex]

and

[tex] \omega^2 = \vec{k}^2 + m^2 [/tex]

He got

[tex] W(J) = \int dx^0 \int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{e^{i \vec{k} (\vec{x_1} - \vec{x_2})}}{\vec{k}^2 + m^2} [/tex]

the way I see it - the middle term is the delta function

[tex] W(J) = - \iint dx^0 dy^0 \delta(x^0 - y^0) \int \frac{d^3k}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{e^{i \vec{k}(\vec{x_1} - \vec{x_2})}} {k^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon} [/tex]

but how does it disappear, and how does

[tex]k^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon [/tex] turn into

[tex]\vec{k}^2 + m^2 [/tex]

[tex] k^0 [/tex] would be the [tex]\omega [/tex]

but somehow this doesn't add up.

so just wondering if anyone could give a pointer on how to solve this

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
W(J) = - \iint dx^0 dy^0 \int \frac{dk^0}{2\pi} e^{i k^0(x - y)^0} \int \frac{d^3k}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{e^{i \vec{k}(\vec{x_1} - \vec{x_2})}} {k^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon}
[/tex]

To do this integral, he integrated over y0 first. That produces a delta function [tex]\delta(k_0) [/tex]. Then he integrated over k0, and because of the delta function, this just sets k0 equal to zero everywhere.

k^2-m^2 if written out is k0^2-k^2-m^2, so if k0 is zero, then that writes out to -(k^2+m^2), which cancels the negative sign.

Took a while to convince myself, but yes it makes sense. Thanks.

Related to Confusing integral in Zee's QFT

1. What is an integral in Zee's QFT?

An integral in Zee's QFT refers to the mathematical process of finding the area under a curve in a specific region. In quantum field theory, integrals are used to calculate the probability amplitudes of different particle interactions.

2. Why is the integral in Zee's QFT confusing?

The integral in Zee's QFT can be confusing because it involves complex mathematical concepts such as path integrals, Feynman diagrams, and divergent series. It also requires a deep understanding of quantum mechanics and special relativity.

3. How is the integral in Zee's QFT used in particle physics?

The integral in Zee's QFT is used to calculate the probability amplitudes of particle interactions, which are then used to make predictions about the behavior of particles in experiments. It is an essential tool for understanding the fundamental forces and particles in nature.

4. Are there any tricks for solving the integral in Zee's QFT?

There are various techniques and tricks that can be used to solve integrals in Zee's QFT, such as contour integration, Feynman parametrization, and dimensional regularization. However, these methods require a strong mathematical background and may still be challenging to understand.

5. Is it necessary to understand the integral in Zee's QFT to study quantum field theory?

While having a good understanding of integrals is essential for studying quantum field theory, it is not necessary to fully comprehend the integral in Zee's QFT to learn the basics of the subject. Many introductory courses and textbooks focus on the conceptual aspects of quantum field theory rather than the technical details of solving integrals.