Confused on simple differential equation

In summary: So I was right but the wording was not appropriate. I will keep that in mind in the future. Thank you for the help.In summary, the goal of the exercise is to find a function y = xm that satisfies the differential equation. Solutions are found by substituting y = x^m, y' = mx^(m-1), and y'' = m(m-1)x^(m-2) into the differential equation, resulting in (m+2)(m-6)x^m = 0. The equation must be true for all real x, making the possibility of xm = 0 irrelevant.
BillhB

Homework Statement

Find the values of m so that ##y = x^m## is a solution of ##x^2\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} - 3x\frac{dy}{dx} -12y = 0##

Homework Equations

##y = x^m##
##y'=mx^{m-1}##
##y''=(m^2-m)x^{m-2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

So after plugging and chugging we get

$$(m+2)(m-6)x^m = 0 $$

Henceforth m = -2 or m = 6.

All well and good but why don't we look at the case when x = 0. Then the domain of m would be ##(-\infty, 0) \cup (0, \infty)## right?

The question doesn't state we're looking for m's for any possible x, so this seems correct to me. Is it just assumed that is the case? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem required to find the value of ##m## such that ##y=x^m## is the solution, so I think your ##m## has to make all the ##x## and ##y## fit the equation.
Besides, ##x## varies and what is given is a function. I think ##x=0## just meets a special case. (my opinion)

Likes BillhB
tommyxu3 said:
The problem required to find the value of ##m## such that ##y=x^m## is the solution, so I think your ##m## has to make all the ##x## and ##y## fit the equation.
Besides, ##x## varies and what is given is a function. I think ##x=0## just meets a special case. (my opinion)

I agree but I put when X = 0 m equaled the above ... when ##X \neq 0## m = -2 or m =6 and got points deducted with a red mark through the when X = 0 part? Wondering if something about above is wrong or if I need to go to professor and seek clarification for deduction.

Ummm... Then I think his viewpoints are that the value ##m\in \mathbb{R}\setminus\{0\}## cannot make all the ##x## fit the equation, in which case we cannot say ##y=x^m## is a solution to the ODE.

Likes BillhB
BillhB said:

Homework Statement

Find the values of m so that ##y = x^m## is a solution of ##x^2\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} - 3x\frac{dy}{dx} -12y = 0##

Homework Equations

##y = x^m##
##y'=mx^{m-1}##
##y''=(m^2-m)x^{m-2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

So after plugging and chugging we get

$$(m+2)(m-6)x^m = 0 $$

Henceforth m = -2 or m = 6.

All well and good but why don't we look at the case when x = 0. Then the domain of m would be ##(-\infty, 0) \cup (0, \infty)## right?
The goal of the exercise is to find a function y = xm that satisfies the DE. As your work shows, two possible functions are y = x-2 and y = x6.

When you substitute the equations ##y = x^m##, ##y' = mx^{m - 1}## and ##y'' = m(m - 1)x^{m - 2}## into the original diff. equation, you get ##(m + 2)(m - 6)x^m = 0##. This equation has to be true for all real x, or at least all x values in the domains of the solutions, not just for a specific x value of 0. For this reason, you don't consider the possibility that xm = 0.
BillhB said:
The question doesn't state we're looking for m's for any possible x, so this seems correct to me. Is it just assumed that is the case? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Likes BillhB
Mark44 said:
The goal of the exercise is to find a function y = xm that satisfies the DE. As your work shows, two possible functions are y = x-2 and y = x6.

When you substitute the equations ##y = x^m##, ##y' = mx^{m - 1}## and ##y'' = m(m - 1)x^{m - 2}## into the original diff. equation, you get ##(m + 2)(m - 6)x^m = 0##. This equation has to be true for all real x, or at least all x values in the domains of the solutions, not just for a specific x value of 0. For this reason, you don't consider the possibility that xm = 0.

Got you. Thanks.

Related to Confused on simple differential equation

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a physical quantity and how it changes over time or space.

What is the difference between a simple and a complex differential equation?

A simple differential equation is one that involves only one independent variable and its derivatives, while a complex differential equation involves multiple independent variables and their derivatives.

What are the steps for solving a simple differential equation?

The steps for solving a simple differential equation are:

1. Identify the independent and dependent variables.
  2. Determine the order of the differential equation.
  3. Separate the equation into its respective parts.
  4. Integrate each side of the equation.
  5. Apply initial or boundary conditions to find the specific solution.

What are some applications of differential equations in real life?

Differential equations are used to model and understand various phenomena in the physical, biological, and social sciences. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, biology, economics, and finance to describe the behavior of systems and predict future outcomes.

What are some common techniques for solving differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, integration, and using special functions such as Fourier series and Laplace transforms. Numerical methods, such as Euler's method, can also be used to solve differential equations.