Confused by "mv^2/L" - Average Force on Wall in Box

In summary, the average force acted by the air molecules on a wall in a box is given by the change in momentum over time, which is equal to 2mv^2/L. This is based on the assumption that the time during each molecule's collision with the wall is negligible compared to the time between successive collisions. The time of impact is taken as 2L/v_x, where L is the length of the box and v_x is the back and forth component of the molecule's velocity. This time is used to account for the average collision rate per molecule, which remains constant even when there are multiple molecules present in the box. The average force is calculated by including all the time intervals, even when the force is zero. This can
Deathnote777
Hey guys! I find it confusing to prove "mv^2/L", the average force acted by the air molecules on a wall in a box. My textbook tells me an assumption "the time during each molecules colliding with the wall of the container is negligible compared with the time elapsed between successive collision" And my textbook tells me the change in momentum = 2mv (I agree with it), the delta t = 2L/v where L is the length of a box <--- I dun understand this one. Why the time of impact is this ? How is it related to the assumption ? I dun understand

Physics news on Phys.org
First consider a box with just one molecule in it, and the molecule bounces back and forth between two walls with the back and forth component of velocity = v_x. It takes two passes of the box length between collisions with the far wall. So the time is just 2L/v_x.

When there are more molecules, there are collisions between molecules. But the average collision rate with the wall per molecule is still the same. I'm not sure how to prove this, but maybe you can picture it this way: with 2 molecules, they can collide in the center of the box. So a molecule going on its return trip to the wall could be deflected away and take much longer. But, by conservation of momentum, the other molecule must be knocked toward the wall, so it takes shorter to hit the wall. It all works out so the average is the same.

Khashishi said:
First consider a box with just one molecule in it, and the molecule bounces back and forth between two walls with the back and forth component of velocity = v_x. It takes two passes of the box length between collisions with the far wall. So the time is just 2L/v_x.

When there are more molecules, there are collisions between molecules. But the average collision rate with the wall per molecule is still the same. I'm not sure how to prove this, but maybe you can picture it this way: with 2 molecules, they can collide in the center of the box. So a molecule going on its return trip to the wall could be deflected away and take much longer. But, by conservation of momentum, the other molecule must be knocked toward the wall, so it takes shorter to hit the wall. It all works out so the average is the same.

I dun understand why the time "2L/Vx" is taken, the time should be time of impact instead of this one. The time of impact should be much smaller

Deathnote777 said:
I dun understand why the time "2L/Vx" is taken, the time should be time of impact instead of this one. The time of impact should be much smaller

Go back to the single particle moving with speed V in the plus/minus x direction as it bounces between the two walls. The particle starts moving left, hits the left-hand wall a time 0, and rebounds to the right.

When does the particle hit the right-hand wall? At time zero it had just started moving right from the left wall, at speed V, and it has to travel the width of the box to get to the right-hand wall. So it will hit the right-hand wall at time L/V, and then rebound to the left at speed V.

When will it get back to the left-hand wall? It has to travel the width of the box, back again from the right-hand wall, and it's moving at speed V, so again the travel time will be L/V. And it started at the right-hand wall at time L/V, so will be back at the left-hand wall at time 2L/V.

Thus the particle hits the left-hand wall at times 0, 2L/V, 4L/V, ...; and hits the right-hand wall at times L/V, 3L/V, 5L/V, ... For both, it's one momentum change of magnitude 2mV every 2L/V seconds.

And because force is defined as the change in momentum per unit time, getting a kick of magnitude 2mV every 2L/V seconds means that the force is
[itex]\frac{2mV}{2L/V} = \frac{2mV^2}{L}[/itex]

Nugatory said:
Thus the particle hits the left-hand wall at times 0, 2L/V, 4L/V, ...; and hits the right-hand wall at times L/V, 3L/V, 5L/V, ... For both, it's one momentum change of magnitude 2mV every 2L/V seconds.

And because force is defined as the change in momentum per unit time, getting a kick of magnitude 2mV every 2L/V seconds means that the force is
[itex]\frac{2mV}{2L/V} = \frac{2mV^2}{L}[/itex]

I understand what you say. But why the time when the molecules are traveling in the air is taken into account ? It shouldn't. Again, the time should be the IMPACT TIME, the time when the air molecules are contacting/colliding with the wall. E.g. When i throw a ball to the wall with speed v, it rebounces to me after 5 seconds at speed v. The average force will NOT be 2mv/5. Instead, it should be like 2mv/0.2 where 0.2 is the time when the ball is colliding with the wall.

Deathnote777 said:
I understand what you say. But why the time when the molecules are traveling in the air is taken into account ? It shouldn't. Again, the time should be the IMPACT TIME, the time when the air molecules are contacting/colliding with the wall. E.g. When i throw a ball to the wall with speed v, it rebounces to me after 5 seconds at speed v. The average force will NOT be 2mv/5. Instead, it should be like 2mv/0.2 where 0.2 is the time when the ball is colliding with the wall.

To compute the average force over a period of 5 seconds, I have to include in the average not only the .2 seconds when the force is 2mv/.2 but also the 4.8 seconds when the force is zero.

Another way of thinking about it: if I hit something twice a second, I'll be applying twice the force over time than if I were hitting it once a second - even though the force of each blow is the same.

Nugatory said:
Another way of thinking about it: if I hit something twice a second, I'll be applying twice the force over time than if I were hitting it once a second - even though the force of each blow is the same.

Thx. I think I get it. I shouldn't consider only the time interval when molecules are colliding with the wall. Right ? Then what's about the assumption "the time during each molecules colliding with the wall of the container is negligible compared with the time elapsed between successive collision" ?

Deathnote777 said:

This is not the time for an impact, it is the time between impacts. Considering the change of momentum during impact removes the need to be concerned with how long the impact takes.

Related to Confused by "mv^2/L" - Average Force on Wall in Box

What is "mv^2/L"?

"mv^2/L" is a mathematical formula that represents the average force on a wall in a box due to an object moving with a certain velocity and mass.

How is "mv^2/L" related to average force?

"mv^2/L" is derived from the equation for kinetic energy, which is 1/2 * mass * velocity^2. Average force is equal to the change in momentum over the change in time, which can also be expressed as mass * velocity / time. By combining these two equations, we get "mv^2/L" as the representation for average force.

Why is "mv^2/L" used for calculating average force on a wall in a box?

In a box, an object will experience a change in momentum due to its velocity and the distance it travels before hitting the wall. This change in momentum is what causes the force on the wall. By using "mv^2/L", we can calculate the average force that the wall experiences over a certain distance and time.

What are the units for "mv^2/L"?

The units for "mv^2/L" will depend on the units used for mass, velocity, and distance. However, in the SI system, the units for "mv^2/L" will be in Newtons (N), which is the unit for force.

Is "mv^2/L" the only way to calculate average force on a wall in a box?

No, there are other ways to calculate average force, such as using the equation F = ma (force equals mass times acceleration). However, "mv^2/L" is a specific equation that is used specifically for calculating the average force on a wall in a box due to an object's momentum.