Algebraic expressions for the amount of time that elapses

In summary, the equation for the amount of time that elapses between collisions with wall B in this scenario is 2lv, where l is the distance between the walls and v is the constant speed of the gas molecule. This equation does not depend on the mass of the molecule and is derived from the equation Δp=-2mv, where Δp is the change in momentum at each collision. This expression takes into account the fact that v is given in distance/time, so an expression for time would require distance divided by v to get units in time.
emily081715

Homework Statement

A single gas molecule of inertia m is trapped in a box and travels back and forth with constant speed v between opposite walls A and B a distance l apart. At each collision with a wall, the molecule reverses direction without changing speed.Write algebraic expressions for the amount of time that elapses between collisions with wall B.

Homework Equations

Δp=-2mv

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that the equation does not depend on mv, and must involve l and v. I believe that the equation should be something along the lines of 2lv. can anyone work through this to make sure it is correct with me

Physics news on Phys.org
v is given in distance/time, so an expression for time would require distance divided by v to get units in time.

RUber said:
v is given in distance/time, so an expression for time would require distance divided by v to get units in time.
thank you i already solve the question on my own though

Related to Algebraic expressions for the amount of time that elapses

What is an algebraic expression for the amount of time that elapses?

An algebraic expression for the amount of time that elapses is a mathematical representation of the time that has passed in a specific situation. It typically includes variables and operations to calculate the elapsed time.

How do I write an algebraic expression for elapsed time?

To write an algebraic expression for elapsed time, you can use the formula: elapsed time = end time - start time. Here, the end time and start time are represented by variables. For example, if the start time is 2:00 PM and the end time is 4:00 PM, the algebraic expression would be elapsed time = 4:00 PM - 2:00 PM = 2 hours.

Can I use algebraic expressions to solve problems involving elapsed time?

Yes, you can use algebraic expressions to solve problems involving elapsed time. By setting up an equation using the formula elapsed time = end time - start time, you can find the missing variable or calculate the elapsed time.

Are there any rules for simplifying algebraic expressions for elapsed time?

Yes, there are a few rules for simplifying algebraic expressions for elapsed time. These include combining like terms, using the distributive property, and following the order of operations. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the expression.

Can I use algebraic expressions for elapsed time in real-life situations?

Yes, algebraic expressions for elapsed time can be used in real-life situations. For example, you can use them to calculate the duration of a trip, the time it takes to complete a task, or the time difference between two events. They are particularly useful in situations where the start and end times are unknown or variable.