Confused about unit step function wrt laplace transforms

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of step functions in Laplace transforms and the notation used in equations involving them. The main issue is understanding how to graph equations like y'' + 4y' + 2y = u_pi(t) + u_2pi(t) and the notation used, such as u_pi. The person asks for a simple explanation and hints to start solving the problem. A video resource is also provided for further understanding.
fufufu

Homework Statement

y'' + 4y' + 2y = u_pi(t) + u_2pi(t)
y(0) = 0 and
y'(0) = 0.

Homework Equations

the step function equation:
u_c(t) = u(t-c) --> (laplace) --> e^-cs/s

The Attempt at a Solution

i am having major probs with getting my head around step function probs wrt laplace transforms. What would be really really helpful if someone could just explain really simply what is going on with these sorts of problems, with particular emphasis on the notation used and how an equation (like the one above can be graphed. (for example, does the pi in u_pi mean "when t=pi" ?)

Heres what I do know (or think i know)
I know what a step function looks like when its graphed and that they are described like
f(t) = 1 0<t<1
= 0 1<t<2
(also, I am ok with taking the laplace or inverse laplace of functions)

the main problem I am having is with the notation used, (u_2pi for example) and specifically how an equation such as the one above is graphed?
But if you don't want to explain anything, then if I can get thru this problem i think i will understand what's going on, so if you can give any hints or anything on how to start a problem like this..thanks alot!
thanks for any help

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Confused about unit step function wrt laplace transforms

1. What is the unit step function?

The unit step function, also known as the Heaviside function, is a mathematical function that is defined as 0 for negative values and 1 for positive values. It is commonly denoted by u(t) or θ(t).

2. How is the unit step function used in Laplace transforms?

In Laplace transforms, the unit step function is used to represent a sudden change or abrupt discontinuity in a system. It is often used to model systems that switch on or off at a certain time, such as electrical circuits.

3. What is the Laplace transform of the unit step function?

The Laplace transform of the unit step function is 1/s. This is because the Laplace transform of a function f(t) is defined as F(s) = ∫0 f(t)e-st dt, and when f(t) is a unit step function, the integral evaluates to 0 e-st dt = 1/s.

4. Can the unit step function be transformed using other methods besides Laplace transforms?

Yes, the unit step function can also be transformed using Fourier transforms and Z-transforms. However, the Laplace transform is often preferred for its ease of use and ability to handle more complex functions.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when using the unit step function in Laplace transforms?

Yes, there are some special cases to consider when using the unit step function in Laplace transforms. For example, if the unit step function is multiplied by another function, it must be carefully taken into account when performing the Laplace transform. It is also important to consider the initial conditions of the system when using the unit step function in Laplace transforms.