Confused about the different types of line integrals

In summary, the main difference between the two types of integrals is that in the first one, the integrand is a scalar function while in the second one, it is a vector function. This also affects the way the integral is evaluated, with the second one being evaluated with respect to t and involving the differentiation of r(t). Additionally, the (dr/dt) or r'(t) in the second integral is just a vector that is dotted with the vector function F(r(t)).
asdf1
what's the difference between
[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(r(t)) dt[/tex]
and
[tex]\int_{a}^{b} F(r(t)) (dr/dt)dt[/tex]?
(where F is a vector function)

because when I'm calculating those two types of questions, the first question just uses dt to integrate the line integral but in the 2nd question, i have to differentiate dr?

Physics news on Phys.org
asdf1 said:
what's the difference between
[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(r(t)) dt[/tex]
and
[tex]\int_{a}^{b} F(r(t)) (dr/dt)dt[/tex]?
(where F is a vector function)

because when I'm calculating those two types of questions, the first question just uses dt to integrate the line integral but in the 2nd question, i have to differentiate dr?

What is r though? Doesn't r have a fairly standard definition ( if we're talking about the vector) as r = (x, y, z) = (x(t), y(t), z(t)) the dr is (dx, dy, dz) Maybe I;ve got it wrong but its late so I apologize if this isn't correct, but they at least SEEM to be more or less the same thing.

From what I know, I would say that the second integral is supposed to be evaluated with respect to t. A more conventional way of writing the second integral is:

[tex]
\int\limits_a^c {F\left( {r\left( t \right)} \right)} \bullet r'\left( t \right)dt
[/tex]

Assuming that F and r are vector functions of t. That representation should clear up some confusion. Also, the (dr/dt) or r'(t) is essentially just some vector. So when it is 'dotted' with F(r(t)), which is another vector, your integrand is just a scalar function.

i think that the 1st "f" is only a scalar function...

Related to Confused about the different types of line integrals

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the total value of a function along a specified path or curve. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the function at each point along the path.

2. What is the difference between a single and double line integral?

A single line integral is used to calculate the total value of a function along a one-dimensional curve, while a double line integral is used to calculate the total value of a function along a two-dimensional surface.

3. How is a line integral calculated?

A line integral is calculated by breaking down the path or curve into small segments and finding the sum of the function at each segment, taking into account the direction of the curve. This sum is then multiplied by the length of each segment and added together to get the total value of the line integral.

4. What is the significance of a line integral in science?

Line integrals are used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in calculating work, flow, and flux in vector fields, which have many applications in these fields.

5. Are there any other types of line integrals?

Yes, there are other types of line integrals, such as contour integrals, surface integrals, and path-independent integrals. These types of line integrals have specific applications and may be more appropriate in certain situations.