Confused about derivatives of inverse functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the derivative of an inverse function. The speaker understands how to find the derivative at a specific point, but struggles with finding a general equation for the slope of the inverse. They are confused about why calculating dx/dy from the original function is different from calculating dy/dx on the inverse. The conversation ends with the expert summarizer explaining that the derivatives should be the same, but the speaker may be confusing the functions written as y= f(x) and y= f'(x). The expert also mentions that solving for y and differentiating can provide a more complicated formula for the derivative of the inverse.
Scintillation
Hi. I am reviewing for an exam, and this is a topic that I did not go through very thoroughly.

I understand how to calculate the derivative of an inverse function when I am given a point, as I simply use the equation (1/f((f^-1))'. So if I am given the equation y=x^3, for example, and am asked to find the derivative of the inverse at x=2, I simply do

1. 2=x^3, which helps me to find the corresponding x-value on the original function
2. find x=3√2, then put in 3√2 into dy/dx (3x^2).
3.The slope at the inverse would be the reciprocal of that.

I understand why that works.

However, when I am asked to find a general equation for the slope of the inverse, I get very confused. I don't understand why calculating dx/dy from the original function is different from calculating dy/dx on the inverse.

Here's an example (I know the picture is not of the best quality).
http://oi48.tinypic.com/25fh7k1.jpg

When I do dx/dy from the original function, I get 1/(3x^2 +2). But when I do dy/dx on the inverse function, I get 1/(3y^2 +2). I thought both of these should be the same. I am following Anton 9th edition, and I don't understand why they are different.

Since dy/dx= 1/(dx/dy), then it follows that dx=dx. So 1/(3x^2 +2)=(3y^2 +2). But that doesn't work either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If y= f(x) is your original function, then it's inverse is y= f'(x). It looks to me like you are confusing the "y" written as a function of x and y written as the inverse function of x.

In any case, I can't understand what you are doing in your example. You have correctly found the derivative of [itex]y= x^3+ 2x- 8[/itex] with respect to x. Then you find the derivative of [itex]x= y^3+ 2y- 8[/itex] with respect to y. You shouldn't be surprized that you get exactly the same result- in the second case, x is exactly the same fuction of y that x is of y in the secondcase. If you were to solve the second equation for y, and differentiate that with respect to x, then you would have the derivative of the inverse. Of course, that would be an extremely complicated function- which is why the formula that tells us we can just invert the derivative of the functions is so useful.

Related to Confused about derivatives of inverse functions

1. What exactly are inverse functions and how do they relate to derivatives?

Inverse functions are functions that "undo" each other. For example, if f(x) = 2x, the inverse function would be f^-1(x) = x/2. Derivatives of inverse functions are important because they allow us to find the rate of change of the original function at any given point.

2. How do I find the derivative of an inverse function?

To find the derivative of an inverse function, you can use the formula (f^-1)'(x) = 1 / f'(f^-1(x)). Essentially, you take the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function evaluated at the inverse function's input.

3. What is the significance of the notation f^-1(x) when finding the derivative?

The notation f^-1(x) represents the inverse function of f(x). This notation allows us to easily differentiate between the original function and its inverse when finding the derivative.

4. Can I use the chain rule to find the derivative of an inverse function?

Yes, you can use the chain rule to find the derivative of an inverse function. The formula would be (f^-1)'(x) = 1 / [f'(f^-1(x)) * f'(x)].

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when finding the derivative of an inverse function?

One common mistake is forgetting to take the derivative of the inverse function itself. Another mistake could be incorrectly applying the chain rule when finding the derivative.