Confuse about linear dielectric

In summary, polarization in dielectric is described by the equation P=\chi*ε0*E, where \chi is the susceptibility, ε0 is the permittivity of vacuum, and E is the total electric field in the dielectric. This includes both the applied external field E_ext and the depolarization field E_d in the media. The Wikipedia article on ferroelectricity also mentions that polarization is proportional to the applied external field, but the constant of proportionality may vary depending on the position and geometry of the sample. Both statements are correct, but the relationship between E and E_ext may be more complex in certain situations.
athosanian
hello, I am learning electromagnetism and read the polarization in dielectric. The textbook tell me that in linear dielectric exists a simple relation:
P=[itex]\chi[/itex]*ε0*E
where [itex]\chi[/itex] is the susceptibility, ε0 is the permittivity of vacuum and E is total electric field in the dielectric. It is noted that E is the total field, namely, applied external field E_0 plus depolarization field E_d in the media.
But when I search this topic on the wiki, I find it says polarization is proportional to the applied external field (link below). So I have a confuse about meaning of E, which is right? I hope any help. Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferroelectricity

Physics news on Phys.org
Your textbook is right.
I suppose you refer to the following phrase:
"When most materials are polarized, the polarization induced, P, is almost exactly proportional to the applied external electric field E"
This statement is also true, however, the constant of proportionality will vary with position and depend on the geometry of the sample and external field. Consider for example a charge in front of a half plane of some dielectric. The true electric field lines will break on entering the material while the external field lines radiate unbroken from the charge. Nevertheless both E and E_ext will be proportional to the charge q.

Thanks! Drdu, I see. Because E is proportional to E_ext, P is proportional to both E and E_ext.

Related to Confuse about linear dielectric

1. What is a linear dielectric?

A linear dielectric is a material that can store electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is characterized by a linear relationship between the applied electric field and the resulting polarization of the material. This means that the polarization is directly proportional to the electric field strength.

2. How is the dielectric constant related to linearity?

The dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of how well a material can store electrical energy. In a linear dielectric, the dielectric constant remains constant regardless of the applied electric field strength. This indicates that the material's ability to store energy is not affected by the strength of the electric field, hence the linearity.

3. Can all materials exhibit linearity in dielectric response?

No, not all materials can exhibit linearity in dielectric response. Materials with a high dielectric constant, such as ferroelectric materials, do not follow a linear relationship between the applied electric field and the resulting polarization. These materials have a nonlinear dielectric response.

4. What is the significance of linearity in dielectric materials?

Linearity in dielectric materials is significant because it allows for easier analysis and prediction of their behavior in response to an applied electric field. It also enables the use of simple mathematical models, such as the parallel plate capacitor model, to describe the behavior of the material.

5. How does temperature affect linearity in dielectric materials?

Temperature can affect the linearity in dielectric materials by altering the material's molecular structure and arrangement. This can change the material's dielectric constant and its ability to store electrical energy, thereby affecting its linearity. In some cases, increasing temperature can cause a material to exhibit nonlinear dielectric behavior.