[Electromagnetism,optics]How to attack a problem of dielectric tensor?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a boundary value problem for an electromagnetic field. The problem involves a vacuum region and a region filled with a material with a specific dielectric tensor. The person has tried to solve the problem using boundary conditions from Maxwell's equations but has been unable to find a solution. They ask for advice and receive a hint to consult a text on crystal optics. Eventually, they are able to solve the problem and realize their mistake.
buoyant
Hi, I am currently making an effort to solve a boundary value problem of electromagnetic field.

The problem is as follows:

The region ##y<0## is vacuum. The region ##y \geq 0## is filled with material with ##\mu=\mu_0## and dielectric tensor ## \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
\alpha & i\beta & 0 \\
-i\beta & \alpha & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \gamma \end{array} \right) ##.

If the wave ##\vec{E} = E_0 \hat{x} exp[i(\frac{\omega}{c}y-\omega t)] ## is incident from the left, what the electric field would be?

I tried to solve with boundary condition deduced from Maxwell's eqns, but I coincided essentially unsolvable determinant. I cannot find how the wave would go eventually.(I thought the polarization of the wave would be eigenvectors of the dielectric tensor, but I can get the direction of propagation so that I couldn't use boundary condition) Is there anyone who can give any advice on this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: the dielectric tensor relates components of E with components of D. While I don't recognize that particular form of dielectric tensor, any reasonable text discussing crystal optics should help you work through the problem.

Thanks a lot Resnick!
I'll think more. Is there any text or website you recommend? I think I have to consider birefringence but not sure how to do that

now i solved it. i was silly. thanks

I can understand your frustration with this problem. It can be challenging to solve boundary value problems in electromagnetism, especially when dealing with a complex material like a dielectric with a tensor. However, there are some steps you can take to approach this problem.

Firstly, it is important to review the basics of electromagnetism and optics, including Maxwell's equations and the properties of dielectric materials. This will help you understand the physical principles behind the problem and guide your approach.

Next, it may be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. For example, you can start by considering the behavior of the wave in vacuum, where the dielectric tensor is simply the identity matrix. Then, you can introduce the dielectric tensor and solve for the wave behavior in that material.

Additionally, you can try using different numerical or computational methods to solve the problem. This can include finite difference or finite element methods, which can handle complex material properties like a dielectric tensor.

It may also be useful to consult with colleagues or experts in the field for advice or guidance. They may have insights or approaches that you haven't considered.

Overall, solving this problem will require a combination of theoretical knowledge, problem-solving skills, and perseverance. I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution.

Related to [Electromagnetism,optics]How to attack a problem of dielectric tensor?

1. What is a dielectric tensor?

A dielectric tensor is a mathematical representation of how a material responds to an applied electric field. It describes the relationship between the electric field and the polarization of the material.

2. How do I determine the dielectric tensor for a specific material?

The dielectric tensor can be determined experimentally by measuring the material's response to an applied electric field at different angles and calculating the tensor components. It can also be calculated theoretically using quantum mechanical methods.

3. How does the dielectric tensor affect the propagation of light through a material?

The dielectric tensor determines the material's refractive indices, which affects the speed and direction of light as it passes through the material. This is known as the material's optical properties.

4. Can the dielectric tensor change over time or under different conditions?

Yes, the dielectric tensor can change depending on the material's temperature, pressure, and other external factors. It can also vary for different frequencies of the applied electric field.

5. How can I use the dielectric tensor to solve problems in electromagnetism and optics?

The dielectric tensor is a crucial component in many equations and models used in electromagnetism and optics. It can be used to calculate the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different materials and predict the behavior of light in optical systems.