Confirm my answers on Oscillating Springs?

In summary, the conversation is asking for confirmation and help with problems 12, 13, and 14 related to oscillating springs. The given equations and values are used to find the speed of the block at 2.5 cm from equilibrium (problem 12), the acceleration at 2.5 cm from equilibrium (problem 13), and the time it takes for the block to move from x=0 to x=2.5 cm (problem 14). The solutions are calculated and converted to the appropriate units. There is also a discussion about the equation for acceleration and whether it always applies in this situation.
vtmvick7
confirm my answers on Oscillating Springs??

Can anyone confirm or adjust my answers for problems 12 and 14? Also can someone help me start on problem 13.. Thanks guys I really appreciate the help

Homework Statement

Find the speed of the block when it is 2.5 cm
from the equilibrium position.
Answer in units of m/s.

Find its acceleration at 2.5 cm from the equilibrium position.
Answer in units of m/s2.

Find the time it takes the block to move from
x = 0 to x = 2.5 cm.
Answer in units of s.

Homework Equations

M= 0.7kg
k= 14.7 N/m
A= 5cm
w= 4.58 rads/s
T= 1.37s

The Attempt at a Solution

#14: x(t) = 5cm Cos(4.58rads/s*(t))
t= (1/4.58 rads/s) cos^-1 (2.5cm/5cm) = 13.09s??
do I convert it to meters??

#12: E=1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2 = 1/2ka^2
1/2(.7)v^2 + 1/2(14.7)(.025m)^2 = 1/2(14.7)(.05m)^2
.35v^2=.0137
v=0.1984m/s
I changed the cm to m, I should have done this right??

Physics news on Phys.org

I think I solved #13.. would I use the equation

a = -w^2 * x?

I think that works but that is the equation for maximum acceleration. This means that equation might not always work for a problem such as this. Is acceleration always at maximum when it is half the distance from the equilibrium? (I don't know the answer to this)

I did this problem a different way.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=397323

Related to Confirm my answers on Oscillating Springs?

1. How do I know if my answers on oscillating springs are correct?

The best way to confirm the accuracy of your answers on oscillating springs is to compare them with known equations and principles governing oscillations. You can also conduct experiments or simulations to validate your answers.

2. Can I use any equation to solve for the properties of an oscillating spring?

No, there are specific equations and principles that apply to oscillating springs, such as Hooke's law and the equations of motion for simple harmonic motion. It is important to use the correct equations to get accurate answers.

3. What factors affect the frequency of an oscillating spring?

The frequency of an oscillating spring is affected by the stiffness of the spring (determined by the spring constant), the mass attached to the spring, and the amplitude of the oscillation. The relationship between these factors can be described by the equation f = 1/2π√(k/m).

4. Can I use the same equations for all types of oscillating springs?

No, different types of oscillating springs (such as simple harmonic oscillators, damped oscillators, or forced oscillators) may require different equations to solve for their properties. It is important to understand the type of oscillator you are dealing with and use the appropriate equations.

5. How can I determine the amplitude of an oscillating spring?

The amplitude of an oscillating spring can be determined by measuring the maximum displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. It can also be calculated using the equation x = A*cos(ωt), where A is the amplitude and ω is the angular frequency.