Cone with spherical top triple integration

In summary, the conversation is about solving a messy integral using spherical coordinates. One person suggests setting it up in spherical coordinates, while the other person mentions not having learned that yet. They then discuss the possibility of using polar coordinates instead and how to set up the integral in that case.
Digitalism

Homework Statement

QRWR5E8.png

Homework Equations

∫∫∫dV

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I started by setting my bounds equal to √(200-x^2-y^2) ≥ z ≥ √(x^2+y^2), √(100-x^2) ≥ y ≥ -√(100-x^2), 10 ≥ x ≥ -10

which I got from solving z^2 = (200-x^2-y^2) = x^2+y^2 => x^2+y^2 = 100 but it seems to be a very messy integral. Should I try integrating differently? Is there a way to do this using polar coordinates?

Physics news on Phys.org
Digitalism said:

Homework Statement

QRWR5E8.png

Homework Equations

∫∫∫dV

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I started by setting my bounds equal to √(200-x^2-y^2) ≥ z ≥ √(x^2+y^2), √(100-x^2) ≥ y ≥ -√(100-x^2), 10 ≥ x ≥ -10

which I got from solving z^2 = (200-x^2-y^2) = x^2+y^2 => x^2+y^2 = 100 but it seems to be a very messy integral. Should I try integrating differently? Is there a way to do this using polar coordinates?

Set it up in spherical coordinates.

sorry, I haven't learned that yet and I think this problem was explicity set up in rectangular so I could practice learning these in rectangular I am simply unsure how to place pi in there also :/

If you have had polar coordinates but not spherical coordinates, take your xyz integral (which is set up correctly) and integrate the dz integral. That will leave you a double integral over the circle ##x^2+y^2 = 100## in the xy plane. Change that integral to polar coordinates using ##r^2=x^2+y^2,~dydx=rdrd\theta## and put ##r,\theta## limits for the circle on the integrals.

Likes 1 person

Related to Cone with spherical top triple integration

1. What is the concept of "Cone with spherical top triple integration"?

The concept of "Cone with spherical top triple integration" involves calculating the volume of a cone with a spherical top using triple integration. This method involves dividing the cone into infinitesimal slices and integrating the volume of each slice along the three different axes.

2. Why is triple integration used for calculating the volume of a "Cone with spherical top"?

Triple integration is used because the cone with a spherical top has a curved surface, making it difficult to calculate the volume using traditional methods. Triple integration allows us to break down the volume calculation into smaller, more manageable parts and then sum them up to get the total volume.

3. What are the variables used in the triple integration formula for a "Cone with spherical top"?

The variables used in the triple integration formula for a cone with a spherical top are the radius of the base of the cone, the height of the cone, and the radius of the spherical top. These variables are used to define the boundaries of the triple integration and to calculate the volume of each infinitesimal slice.

4. How is the triple integration formula derived for a "Cone with spherical top"?

The triple integration formula for a cone with a spherical top is derived by dividing the cone into infinitesimal slices and integrating the volume of each slice along the three different axes. The volume of each slice is calculated using the formula for the volume of a spherical cap, and then the integration is performed to get the total volume of the cone.

5. What are some real-world applications of "Cone with spherical top triple integration"?

"Cone with spherical top triple integration" has various real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a conical flask, the volume of a fuel tank, or the volume of a cone-shaped building. It is also used in astrophysics to calculate the volume of a comet or an asteroid with a cone-like shape.