Conducting rod is free to move over a loop under influence of B field?

In summary, the problem involves a conducting rod in a uniform magnetic field with contact to metal rails, and a constant speed of 7.50 m/s. Using Ohm's Law and energy conservation, the magnitude of the force required to keep the rod moving can be found. Additionally, the force can also be calculated using the equation relating force to wire length, wire current, and magnetic field. Both methods should yield the same result as a check.
GodPlaysDice

Homework Statement

The conducting rod ab shown in the figure (Figure 1) makes contact with metal rails ca and db. The apparatus is in a uniform magnetic field 0.800 T, perpendicular to the plane of the figure.
YF-29-25.jpg

If the resistance of the circuit abdc is 1.50 Ω (assumed to be constant), find the magnitude of the force required to keep the rod moving to the right with a constant speed of 7.50 m/s . You can ignore friction.

I've already found that (if the rod moves with constant velocity 7.5 m/s) the EMF is 3 volts.

Homework Equations

F = qv x B
V = IR
q = It

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could somehow use ohms law to find the charge q i needed in the equation for the Lorenz Force by q = I t, but I don't have a t. I don't really know where to start solving this one. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use energy conservation. What's the energy dissipation per second around the loop? Relate that to force and rate of change of distance.

You could also use the equation relating force to wire length, wire current and B.

Do it both ways as a check!

Related to Conducting rod is free to move over a loop under influence of B field?

1. What is a conducting rod?

A conducting rod is a long, thin, solid object made of a material that allows electricity to flow through it easily. Examples of conducting materials include metals like copper, silver, and gold.

2. How does a conducting rod move over a loop under the influence of a B field?

When a conducting rod is placed over a loop and a magnetic field, also known as a B field, is applied, the rod will experience a force due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric current flowing through the rod. This force will cause the rod to move in a circular or elliptical path over the loop.

3. What is the significance of a conducting rod moving over a loop under the influence of a B field?

This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for how generators and electric motors work. By moving a conducting rod through a magnetic field, an electric current can be induced in the rod, and this current can be used to power devices or generate electricity.

4. How can the direction of the force on a conducting rod be determined?

The direction of the force on a conducting rod can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the magnetic field and your fingers in the direction of the electric current. The direction your palm is facing is the direction of the force on the rod.

5. What factors can affect the movement of a conducting rod over a loop under the influence of a B field?

The strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current flowing through the rod, and the length and orientation of the rod can all affect the movement of the conducting rod. Additionally, the presence of other nearby magnetic fields can also impact the path of the rod.