Conditions for optimum isentropic efficiency

In summary, the speaker is looking for an experiment to use as background research for a report on the effects of mass flow rate and rotational speed on the isentropic efficiency of an axial flow compressor. Their own results showed that the highest efficiency was achieved at the highest rotational speed and mass flow rate, but they are seeking clarification on the meaning and definition of isentropic efficiency for a compressor. They mention that the compressor they are working on is a commercially produced one and suggest searching for published performance specifications, which typically include charts displaying pressure, flow rate, torque, efficiency, and other information.
MattH150197

Homework Statement

Ive looked through several published journals online trying to find an experiment that I can use as background research for my report, something I can compare my findings to but I am just wasting lots of time that I could be doing the rest of my report so what I am trying to find out is how mass flow rate and rotational speed of an axial flow compressor affect the isentropic efficiency.
My results showed that the optimum efficiency was at the highest rotational speed and mass flow rate so I am guessing that high rotational speed and mass flow rate conditions are required for optimum isentropic efficiency but I need some clarification, Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
(1) What do you understand the term isentropic efficiency to mean ? How is it defined for a compressor ?

(2) The compressor that you are working on is a commercially produced one .

If you search you might be able to find the published performance specification . This type of specification usually includes one or more charts showing pressure/flow rate/torque/efficiency and other information .

Last edited:

Related to Conditions for optimum isentropic efficiency

1. What is isentropic efficiency?

Isentropic efficiency is a measure of the efficiency of a thermodynamic process, specifically how much of the energy input is converted into useful work. It is often used in the analysis of turbines and compressors.

2. What conditions are necessary for optimum isentropic efficiency?

The conditions for optimum isentropic efficiency include adiabatic and reversible processes, no internal losses or friction, and a perfectly insulated system. These conditions are rarely achievable in real-world systems, but they serve as a theoretical benchmark for efficiency.

3. How is isentropic efficiency calculated?

Isentropic efficiency is calculated by dividing the actual work output of a system by the ideal work output under the same conditions. This can be expressed as a percentage or decimal value.

4. Can isentropic efficiency be greater than 100%?

No, isentropic efficiency cannot be greater than 100% as it represents the ratio of actual work to ideal work. However, it is possible for the efficiency to be less than 100%, indicating losses within the system.

5. How does isentropic efficiency affect the performance of a system?

Higher isentropic efficiency means less energy is lost during a process, resulting in improved performance and lower energy consumption. It also indicates a more efficient use of resources and reduced operating costs.