Conditional probability using dependent and independent tests

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating a probability value from multiple distributions or tests that are dependent on each other. There are three tests, A, B, and C, with different probabilities of producing a true result (represented by black regions). The regions also overlap with each other, and there are probabilities for the overlap between each pair of tests. The goal is to determine a meaningful measure of the overall probability of a true result (P(t)) when all three tests are taken together. The value should take into account the individual probabilities of each test and the relative distribution of the regions. The conversation also mentions the possibility of incomplete overlapping regions. This scenario is compared to someone taking multiple tests to determine if they have a disease, and
anthonyk
Hi, I'm trying to work out a probability value from a number of distributions (tests), it gets a little complicated because some of the tests are dependent on each other.

Lets say I have a surface which has black and white regions distributed over it, where black is "true" and white is "false". Test A covers a region of the space, and P(t | A) has a value of 0.5, meaning half of the space in A is black.

I have the following probabilities:

P(t | A) = 0.5
P(t | B) = 0.9
P(t | C) = 0.1

The regions overlap somewhat, according to the following probabilities:
P(A | B) = 1.0 (B is entirely within A)
P(B | A) = 0.1
P(C | A) = 0.05
P(A | C) = 0.5
P(B | C) = 0.3

Now i'd like to work out a meaningful measure of P(t | A and B and C) from the given information. If its important to have any other measures like P(C) etc let me know but I don't think its needed.

The value should be based on the values of P(t | A), P(t | B) etc, but should take into account the relative distributions of the regions. I'm pretty sure that the value P(t | A) should end up with no weight at all since region B is entirely contained within A and thus the other information about A is unimportant, but I don't know what maths will reflect this.

What this is trying to capture is there are a number of tests (A,B,C), and i'd like to give an overall estimate of the expected result from the given information, knowing that some of the tests are dependent.

If anyone can help me with this or point out the right topic to read up on i appreciate it. I'm not even sure if there is a meaningful way to combine the given distributions but if there is i'd like to hear it. thanks,
Anthonyps. I know you can say P(t | A and B and C) = P(t | B and C) since B = A and B, but if there is a way of handling incomplete overlapping regions it would be more useful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is roughly equivalent to someone having a number of tests to determine if they have a given disease. Test A, B and C all returned true. P(disease | A) = 0.5, P(disease | B) = 0.9, P(disease | C) = 0.1 (lets say C is a test that works out if you don't have the disease). I'd like to come up with an estimate of P(disease | AnBnC), if this is at all possible with the given information, or to identify what other information would be useful.

Related to Conditional probability using dependent and independent tests

1. What is the difference between dependent and independent tests in conditional probability?

Dependent tests refer to events where the outcome of one test affects the outcome of another test. In other words, the probability of the second test changes based on the result of the first test. Independent tests, on the other hand, are events where the outcome of one test does not affect the outcome of another test. The results of each test are completely unrelated.

2. How do you calculate the conditional probability of two dependent events?

To calculate the conditional probability of two dependent events, you must first determine the probability of the first event occurring. Then, you must determine the probability of the second event occurring, taking into account the result of the first event. Finally, you multiply these two probabilities together to get the conditional probability.

3. Can two events be both dependent and independent at the same time?

No, two events cannot be both dependent and independent at the same time. If the outcome of one event affects the outcome of another event, they are by definition dependent. If the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of another event, they are independent. These two concepts are mutually exclusive.

4. How can conditional probability be used in real-life scenarios?

Conditional probability is commonly used in fields such as statistics, economics, and epidemiology to make predictions and decisions based on the likelihood of certain events occurring. For example, it can be used to calculate the likelihood of a patient having a certain disease based on their symptoms and test results, or to determine the probability of a stock market crash based on economic indicators.

5. What are some common misconceptions about conditional probability?

One common misconception about conditional probability is that it is the same as probability. While probability refers to the likelihood of an event occurring, conditional probability specifically takes into account the outcome of another event. Another misconception is that dependent events always have a cause-and-effect relationship, when in reality they may simply be correlated. Additionally, many people confuse the terms "dependent" and "independent" with "mutually exclusive" and "mutually inclusive," respectively.