Concurrent Degree or Minor: Which is Better for Your Career?

In summary: Consider your future career goals and what will benefit you the most in achieving them. In summary, when deciding between universities and areas of study, carefully consider your personal preferences, career goals, and what will ultimately benefit you the most in the long run.
aestas
Should I choose pick the university that allows me to do a concurrent degree (great business program) or a slightly better university that only let's me take a minor in either the arts or business (business program is not well known)? What would be the benefit in having an extra degree?

Right now I'm trying to decide whether I should sacrifice a bit on the quality of teaching/profs/TAs in order to go for a concurrent degree. I have heard some negative feedback about the profs/TAs (language barriers) at the university offering the concurrent degree... Seeing as I'm an oral learner, this may be a problem... I realize this is an issue that may be encountered at every university, but it seems to occur at a higher frequency at that particular university...

Also, would taking a variety of mechanical/materials engineering be better (career-wise) than focusing solely on one aspect of mechanical engineering (ie. manufacturing)? I would think that doing a variety of courses would be better so I can do more different things... but diversifying too much may be a bad thing?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The decision of which university to attend is ultimately up to you. Consider the pros and cons of each option, including the quality of teaching, the academic reputation of the institution, and any other factors that may be important to you. As for the benefit of having an extra degree, it will depend on your individual career goals and what kind of career you wish to pursue. With an additional degree, you may have more job opportunities available to you or have a higher chance of standing out in the job market. In terms of engineering, the answer will depend on the type of career you are looking for. If you are looking for a career in a specific field of mechanical engineering, such as manufacturing, then focusing on that particular field may be beneficial. However, if you want to increase your career options and have a greater understanding of the different aspects of mechanical engineering, then diversifying your studies may be a better route. Ultimately, some employers may prefer a greater depth of knowledge in one particular field, whereas others may appreciate a breadth of knowledge across multiple fields.

I would recommend carefully considering all of your options and evaluating what will ultimately benefit you in your career and personal goals. A concurrent degree may offer the opportunity to gain a broader knowledge base and skill set, which can be beneficial in the long run. However, it is important to also consider the quality of education and resources available at each university.

In terms of the language barrier and potential issues with learning style at the university offering the concurrent degree, it may be helpful to reach out to current or former students to get a better understanding of their experiences. Additionally, you could inquire about resources available for students who may struggle with the language barrier or different learning styles.

When it comes to choosing between a variety of courses or focusing on one aspect of engineering, it ultimately depends on your career goals. If you are interested in a specific field within mechanical engineering, it may be beneficial to focus on that area and gain specialized knowledge and skills. However, if you are unsure of your specific interests or want to keep your options open, taking a variety of courses may be a better choice.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your individual goals and what will benefit you the most in the long run. It may also be helpful to consult with a career advisor or mentor who can provide guidance and insights based on their own experiences. Good luck with your decision!

Related to Concurrent Degree or Minor: Which is Better for Your Career?

What is a concurrent degree?

A concurrent degree is a program where a student is pursuing two different degrees at the same time. This could mean a degree in two different fields, such as a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts, or it could mean two degrees within the same field, such as a Bachelor of Science in Biology and a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry.

What is a minor?

A minor is a specialized area of study that is completed alongside a student's major. It typically requires fewer courses than a major and provides a deeper understanding of a specific subject within a larger field of study.

What is the difference between a concurrent degree and a minor?

The main difference between a concurrent degree and a minor is the number of courses required and the depth of study. A concurrent degree requires a student to complete the full course load for each degree, while a minor only requires a few courses in a specific subject. Additionally, a concurrent degree may lead to two separate degrees, while a minor is typically listed as a specialization within a single degree.

Which one is better for a student?

This depends on the individual student's goals and interests. A concurrent degree may provide a more well-rounded education and open up more career opportunities, but it also requires a heavier course load and may take longer to complete. A minor, on the other hand, allows a student to focus on a specific area of interest without adding significant time to their degree program.

Can a student pursue both a concurrent degree and a minor?

Yes, it is possible for a student to complete both a concurrent degree and a minor. However, this would require a heavy course load and careful planning to ensure all requirements are met in a timely manner. It is important for students to discuss their options with their academic advisor to determine if this is a feasible and beneficial choice for them.