Conceptual trouble with derivatives with respect to Arc Length

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving gradient vectors and derivatives. It specifically focuses on the calculation of dT/ds, the change in temperature with respect to arc length. The confusion arises when trying to understand why the derivative of time with respect to arc length is equivalent to the unit tangent vector. The post clarifies that ds/dt can represent velocity and dT/ds can represent a temperature gradient along an arbitrary path. It also notes that dT/ds does not necessarily have to be expanded using the chain rule.
admbmb
Hi,

So I'm working through a bunch of problems involving gradient vectors and derivatives to try to better understand it all, and one specific thing is giving me trouble.

I have a general function that defines a change in Temperature with respect to position (x,y). So for example, dT/dt would be the change in temperature with respect to time, which is implied to mean (dT/dx*dx/dt + dT/dy*dy/dt) by the Chain Rule. I understand this, and understand that dx/dt or dy/dt refers to the velocity (change in x & y position with respect to time).

However, it then asks for dT/ds, the change in temperature with respect to arc length.

I know that dT/ds would equate to dT/dt*dt/ds, where dt is velocity, and so dT/dt = (grad)T * v, but the answer shows that dt/ds is v / |v|, which implies that the derivative of time with respect to arc length is the unit tangent vector. I can't wrap my head around that, and I'm having a hard time seeing this either graphically or conceptually. Why is the derivative of time with respect to arc length the unit tangent vector? Thanks~

Physics news on Phys.org
Your post appears to be confusing two different things.

ds/dt can be used to represent a velocity.

dT/ds does not have to be expanded using the chain rule into dT/dt* dt/ds (note: dt/ds is not the same as ds/dt) unless there is some reason for this. A temperature which is varying with time would be one reason.

dT/ds could simply represent a temperature gradient along some arbitrary path, whose differential length element is ds. Knowing something about the geometry of this arbitrary path could lead to expressions for dT/dx and dT/dy by applying the chain rule.

Related to Conceptual trouble with derivatives with respect to Arc Length

1. What is the concept of derivatives with respect to Arc Length?

Derivatives with respect to Arc Length refers to the rate at which a curve changes based on its length, rather than its x or y coordinates. It is a way to measure the slope of a curve at any given point, taking into account the arc length instead of the traditional x and y coordinates.

2. How is the derivative with respect to Arc Length calculated?

The derivative with respect to Arc Length is calculated using the arc length formula, which involves taking the derivative of the function and dividing it by the magnitude of the derivative. This results in a value that represents the slope of the curve at a specific point in terms of its arc length.

3. Why is there conceptual trouble with derivatives with respect to Arc Length?

Many students struggle with the concept of derivatives with respect to Arc Length because it is a new way of thinking about derivatives. It requires a shift from traditional x and y coordinates to thinking about the curve in terms of its length. This can be challenging to grasp at first.

4. What are some real-world applications of derivatives with respect to Arc Length?

Derivatives with respect to Arc Length have many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to analyze the motion of objects moving along a curved path, such as a rollercoaster or a satellite orbiting the Earth. It is also used in designing curved structures, such as bridges and tunnels.

5. Are there any tips for understanding derivatives with respect to Arc Length?

One helpful tip for understanding derivatives with respect to Arc Length is to visualize the curve as a string or a rope, and think about how the slope of the curve would change if you were to pull on the string. It can also be helpful to practice using the arc length formula and working through problems step by step to build a better understanding of the concept.