Conceptual question about rolling on a moving floor

In summary, the motion of the hoop on the moving bus can be described by six equations, including the condition that the hoop rolls without slipping. This condition implies that the speed of the center of mass of the hoop and the point of contact with the floor are equal. However, the axis of rotation of the hoop does not move with the same speed as the floor. The speed of the point in contact with the floor is zero, and its acceleration is determined by the angular acceleration of the hoop.
tzonehunter

Homework Statement

A hoop sits on a bus. The bus begins to accelerate toward the right with acceleration a1, shown below. The bus tires do not slip on the road. As the bus accelerates, the hoop begins to roll without slipping on the rigid floor of the bus and has rightward center of mass acceleration a2.

1) The bus wheel's radius is r1. Its center of mass velocity and acceleration are v1 and a1; the bus wheel's angular velocity and angular acceleration around its center of mass are ω1 and α1.

2) The hoop's radius is r2. Its center of mass velocity and acceleration are v2 and a2; the hoop's angular velocity and angular acceleration around its center of mass are ω2 and α2. Point P on the wheel is in contact with the rigid bus floor.

Which equations are implied by each of the constraining conditions indicated in the figure?

RollingHoopCar_zpsd64ace5f.jpg

The sixth equation that was cut out accidentally is v1 = ω1r1

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial thoughts:
Intuitively, I imagine that the hoop will roll and accelerate to the back of the bus. I do not imagine that it must roll at a constant velocity relative to the bus. No where in the problem is it implied that μstatic's are equal, and we could be at the point where the hoop or wheel is about to slip.

Condition X Implies:
a2 = α2r2 But... is this incorrect because the floor moves?
aP = a2 If the hoop doesn't slip, then the center of mass should be vertically aligned with the center of mass at all times.

Condition X Eliminates:
vP = v1 AND v2 = ω1r1 (for t ≠ 0s)
aP = a1

If the hoop rolls w/o slipping, and vP = v2, then there must be a non-zero relative velocity between the CoM of the hoop and the bus. Since both start at rest, their linear accelerations cannot be equal.

Condition Y Implies:
v1 = ω1r1

Can anyone help?

Thanks much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tzonehunter said:
My initial thoughts:
Intuitively, I imagine that the hoop will roll and accelerate to the back of the bus. I do not imagine that it must roll at a constant velocity relative to the bus. No where in the problem is it implied that μstatic's are equal, and we could be at the point where the hoop or wheel is about to slip.

Condition X Implies:
a2 = α2r2 But... is this incorrect because the floor moves?
aP = a2 If the hoop doesn't slip, then the center of mass should be vertically aligned with the center of mass at all times.

Condition X Eliminates:
vP = v1 AND v2 = ω1r1 (for t ≠ 0s)
aP = a1

If the hoop rolls w/o slipping, and vP = v2, then there must be a non-zero relative velocity between the CoM of the hoop and the bus. Since both start at rest, their linear accelerations cannot be equal.

Condition Y Implies:
v1 = ω1r1

Can anyone help?

Thanks much!

You have got one equation right , the last one .There are some more correct options.

What does rolling without slipping condition tell you about the speed of the surfaces in contact ?

Vibhor said:
You have got one equation right , the last one .There are some more correct options.

What does rolling without slipping condition tell you about the speed of the surfaces in contact ?

Well, the speed of the center of mass of the hoop and the location of the contact point on the surface must be the same. xP must equal x2. But I still think that the contact point will move relative to the bus floor since the hoop rolls.

For example, if a can rolls without slipping down a stationary wedge, the velocity of the point of application of the normal force would equal the linear velocity of the can. However, the velocity of the can would not equal the velocity of the wedge for all t.

Last edited:
tzonehunter said:
Well, the speed of the center of mass of the hoop and the location of the contact point on the surface must be the same. xP must equal x2.

No . This is simply wrong . The motion of the hoop is a combination of translation+rotation . The speed of the CM and the point of contact would be same when the hoop is in pure translational motion , which is not the case .

tzonehunter said:
But I still think that the contact point will move relative to the bus floor since the hoop rolls.

The question clearly states that the hoop rolls without slipping , which means there is no slipping.

tzonehunter said:
For example, if a can rolls without slipping down a stationary wedge, the velocity of the point of application of the normal force would equal the linear velocity of the can.

Again this is wrong .The two points have different velocities . In fact the point of contact has zero velocity whereas the can has non zero linear velocity .

I think you are not clear with the concept of rolling without slipping.

Consider a simple case of a hoop rolling without slipping on the floor with speed 'v'. What do you think is the speed of the bottommost point of the hoop i.e the point in contact with the floor ?

Last edited:
Hi Vibhor,

Thank you very much for helping explain this concept.

I think my interpretation of the term contact point is different than what was intended in the problem. I was defining the contact point as the axis of rotation of the hoop, and considering the axis of rotation in my analysis. If the hoop were rolling on a stationary horizontal surface, certainly the axis of rotation of the hoop moves, right?

After reading your response, and watching some excellent videos on youtube (I like this one: ) I think I arrived at the correct answers.

The instantaneous velocity of a point on the edge of the wheel in contact with the floor, vP, must be the same as the floor. Since the point in contact with the floor has 0 angular acceleration relative to the floor, its instantaneous acceleration must be the same as that of the floor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Conceptual question about rolling on a moving floor

1. How does rolling on a moving floor affect an object's motion?

Rolling on a moving floor can affect an object's motion in multiple ways. If the object is rolling in the same direction as the floor's movement, its speed will increase. However, if the object is rolling in the opposite direction, its speed will decrease. The direction of the object's rotation may also change depending on the direction of the floor's movement.

2. Can an object roll on a moving floor without slipping?

Yes, it is possible for an object to roll on a moving floor without slipping. This occurs when the friction between the object and the floor is high enough to prevent slipping. The object's shape and weight distribution can also play a role in its ability to roll without slipping.

3. How does the speed of the moving floor affect the object's rolling motion?

The speed of the moving floor can have a significant impact on the object's rolling motion. If the floor is moving at a high speed, the object's rolling speed will also increase. However, if the floor is moving at a slower speed, the object's rolling speed will decrease. This is due to the transfer of energy between the floor and the object.

4. Does the shape of the object affect its rolling motion on a moving floor?

Yes, the shape of the object can greatly affect its rolling motion on a moving floor. Objects with a cylindrical or spherical shape are more likely to roll smoothly on a moving floor, while objects with an irregular shape may experience more slipping or changes in direction.

5. How does the surface of the moving floor impact an object's rolling motion?

The surface of the moving floor can have a significant impact on an object's rolling motion. A smooth surface will allow for easier rolling, while a rough surface may cause the object to slip or change direction more frequently. Additionally, the material of the floor and the object's material can also affect their interaction and the resulting rolling motion.